have you ever seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
anyone paint batters box and circle (but still use chalk for baselines in dirt)? not certain if this is best forum, but I am curious.

during travel league playoffs, saw one team use paint for all lines, really gave my DD fits as fumes blew into our dugout (asthmatic).

Last night, for scrimmage, used spray paint for batters box then circle (tool they used to template circle also left a nice inch deep half inch wide trench, actually more visible than paid).

anyone ever seen this, and is there a reason for it? (front, back, and inside lines on RH box were pretty much gone by end of 2nd).

they also set up forms way too close to HP, spray painted lines actually hit black of HP

Nov 18, 2013
There's some type of spray chalk, maybe it's paint, that colleges use for the lines. Seems to be much quicker. I've never noticed a scent, although I was always in the stands.

May 6, 2015
Maybe they ran out of spray paint

this was just straight spray paint, like used for lines in grass (which is why it is in shed).

when they started (doing boxes first), I thought maybe they did not have any chalk, but then they used chalk on baselines (one coach did say that a lot of the stuff that was in there for regular season was not there), then back to paint for circle. weird.

maybe I will send a note to someone I know on board of the local rec league (it was on our local rec league's fields), that they really need to issue instructions (or better yet demonstrate) how to prep fields for games to all the coaches and also township maintenance crews (who I believe started to do it for league games this last spring). the latter often used wrong box frame for softball, and did not place it correctly in relation to plate, and once did a 8 foot diameter instead of 8 foot radius pitching circle.

Oct 4, 2018
We showed up to a "Sand Lot" like field in the middle of nowhere for a scrimmage one time.

Guy jumped out and spray painted the bases and home plate white as we were warming up.

May 6, 2015
We showed up to a "Sand Lot" like field in the middle of nowhere for a scrimmage one time.

Guy jumped out and spray painted the bases and home plate white as we were warming up.
our LL pres would do same on friday before opening day, half of it flaked off before ceremonies or first games on fields because of the dirt. always though they should just be powerwashed then maybe brush some water saturated with plaster or the like on them (ie whitewash them)

Nov 18, 2015
I didn't know a "tool" existed for the pitcher's circle. We use a peg and a pre-measured piece of steel wire - stick one end in middle of circle, and scribe around the circle, then follow that line with the chalk machine. I can see the speed of using a spray can, but having some sort of device that would leave an imprint seems like overkill.

May 6, 2015
our tool is only a piece of PVC with parallel holes drilled 8 feet apart, with spikes/nails not certain through each hole. plant one in front of rubber in middle, the other end traces a 8 foot radius circle.

cannot really see how spray can ( that you have to bend over to use) is faster than chalk machine. and harder to see. and more annoying (fumes) to everyone around (I was setting up chair behind and to right of HP). thing is, they do have a machine for painting lines for outfield as well (unless this went missing to). I think this is just case of one person seeing someone do it like that, and they copy cat it, right or wrong.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee