Have you ever been out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2021
I usually see zero reason when coaching to be aggressive or derogatory towards umpires. Bad example to the kids and I want the umpire calling the game and not thinking about me riding them. I like to say things like “that’s a competitive pitch!”, “Love that spot!”, “great spot with two strikes!” and “she will have to swing at that with two strikes!”. Subtle way off letting the umpire know I feel that could very well be called a strike while encouraging my pitcher.

Calls get blown on the field and I just try to ask what they saw or simply say “guess you saw it different then me”. Let them know I don’t approve without ticking them off.

However, when appropriate calmly calling an umpire out as a bold faced liar gets a great reaction in my experience. Not my opinion against yours. A flat out statement against their character in front of everyone.

Love others stories! Keep them coming. 👍

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021
I also spent some time as an umpire at a local competitive little league back in the mid to late 90’s while rehabbing from reconstructive shoulder surgery as a pitcher. Learned a lot including though you were a late round draft pick out of high school you really don’t know the game nearly as well as you think!

Learned a lot and got voted by the coaches to be one of the playoff umpires. Coaches would argue with me all the time so I was a little surprised. That never bothered me. None of them scared or intimidated me in spite of their best effort. But the parents…. Dear Lord I sooooo wanted to see some of those dads on the street and have a face to face or face to fist with them when their kid wasn’t around.

Never kicked anyone out of a game though either. Maybe I’m soft. 😝

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802