Have you ever been out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yep. Rec game. One ump behind the plate who was lazy and never left his spot. Had a BR on 2. Hard hit grounder to F6. F6 was deep in the hole. Had no chance to tag my BR as she was 4 feet away when fielding it but tried a swipe anyway. Ump called her out on the tag. I calmly walked up to him and asked if he wanted to see my dog. He asked why. I told him because my dog had better depth perception as he was a seeing eye dog. Out I went.

Another rec game. I used a line I first heard on here when the other teams' BR's kept leaving early. I said, "Blue, I think I have your cell phone here!" He said, "Why do you think it's mine?" I told him, "There's a lot of missed calls!" Out I went.

Aug 25, 2019
Yep. Rec game. One ump behind the plate who was lazy and never left his spot. Had a BR on 2. Hard hit grounder to F6. F6 was deep in the hole. Had no chance to tag my BR as she was 4 feet away when fielding it but tried a swipe anyway. Ump called her out on the tag. I calmly walked up to him and asked if he wanted to see my dog. He asked why. I told him because my dog had better depth perception as he was a seeing eye dog. Out I went.

Another rec game. I used a line I first heard on here when the other teams' BR's kept leaving early. I said, "Blue, I think I have your cell phone here!" He said, "Why do you think it's mine?" I told him, "There's a lot of missed calls!" Out I went.
Well good stories Yocoach, but you should never get yourself thrown out of a rec game, especially if the umpire, however lazy or incompetent, is by himself. Especially the runner leaving early. The umpire is looking at the pitcher, not down the first (or third) baseline to watch runners. I once called out a runner on 2nd leaving early, but that’s it. I’ve had a couple coaches in rec tell me to watch the runners, they leaving early. I said to them, don’t tell me, tell your league to hire another umpire, that’s his job.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
A few years back when I was young and foolish we are in the 3rd base dugout and an opponent hit a ball into the RC gap. Now when the opponent hits the ball as such I always watch to see if the runners and batter touches all the bases. In this case the runner from 1st missed 3rd on the way to the plate. I tell our pitcher to appeal and the home plate ump calls her safe. So I yell out "you weren't even watching ", because he wasn't. He was awaiting a play at home that never materialized, and the base umpire was watching the outfielder throw the ball in to 2B. I wave my arm in disgust and go sit down. The plate umpire comes over to the bench and stood about 1 foot away from me staring at me but never said a word. Neither did I He was daring me to say something. I could almost see the steam coming out of his ears. After 15 seconds without saying a word he returns to the plate and the game resumes.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Never been thrown out of a game since I have been coaching travel ball.

Should have been thrown out of a game once. 2 umpires. We had a runner score on a play, also the 3rd out of the inning happened on the same play. Our runner could have eaten two bologna sandwiches in the time after she scored and the 3rd out was made. I am usually very calm when it comes to umpires decisions, I kind of lost it on that one. I did not use any cuss words but I was surprised he did not throw me out considering how long I argued the situation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not out of a softball game...but tossed out of a HS basketball game.

There was 10 seconds left in the game, my DD#3's team was up by 1. They took a last second shot, my DD#3 went up and got the rebound. One of their players literally jumped on her back and pulled her down. So, my DD#3 is laying on the court with an opposing team's player underneath her. The ref blew his whistle and called a foul...so, I thought the game was in the bag. My DD#3 would make both free throws, game over.

Turns out he called the foul on my DD#3. I lost my temper, and got kicked out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom