have you ever asked someone to guest play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
DD has only guest-played twice. The first time it was with a team that she was considering joining, so she played a full tournament with them. Since it was a tryout (on both sides), it was important that she got a taste of what playing on that team was like, including sitting out some innings and getting bench time with some of the other players. It worked out great, and she's been on that same team for two years now.

The other time, a friend of hers was playing for a team that had one pitcher unavailable and another one hurt. They had a double-header friendly scheduled, and they needed another pitcher. She filled in and played every inning, pitching the first game and playing the field in the second. I think she batted fifth, so she got some plate appearances in as well. She was happy to help out a friend, and happy with how much playing time she got.

Bottom line -- as long as the expectations are set and met, it can be a great experience. If someone asks your DD to guest but says that they can't guarantee any playing time... my guess is that they're going to have a tough time getting anyone to agree to that.

Jun 12, 2015
We would play with 9 before we'd pick up a player, if you take P/C out of it. So if we picked up a player, she was definitely going to play. I don't know why you'd bring a guest player you don't need, or why a guest player would want to spend their Saturday on the bench of some team that's not even their own.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
We would play with 9 before we'd pick up a player, if you take P/C out of it. So if we picked up a player, she was definitely going to play. I don't know why you'd bring a guest player you don't need, or why a guest player would want to spend their Saturday on the bench of some team that's not even their own.

Never go with just 9. One concussion and your playing with 8. We’ve had two girls get concussions in back to back game. Glad we had 11 with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
We had girls back out for various reasons last summer, on a tournament we'd payed for and gotten rooms for, in Lubbock. There was ZERO chance we were going 6 hours to Lubbock, in June, with only 9 girls. We reached out and asked for some local players, were clear about WHY we wanted to have at least a couple of extra girls on the bench, and explained that we could not guarantee any specific amount of playing time. They decided they'd rather be at the ballpark than sitting on the couch watching TV all weekend and ended up having a lot of fun and bonded with the girls.

It seems weird to me that even asking would be such a big deal to people, as long as it was clearly communicated. It seems to me that if they didn't want to do it, they could just say "no"?

Jun 8, 2016
Like I tell my wife when the 20th HS football player in the last week comes by asking us to buy something to fund their season, no is always possible answer to a question and one which, in this case, the person being asked could use if asked in the manner the OP put forth..

May 20, 2016
Org my DD plays for requires that if you bring a guest player they have to play two complete games, fielding and hitting on Saturday, and start the first game on Sunday.

Feb 18, 2014
My DD for the last 4 years has picked up for more teams than I can remember, in tourneys, league, showcases, scrimmages, large PGF tournaments in California, small podunk tourneys in Idaho..... For awhile we were playing twice a month with her team and picking up at least once and up to 3 times with other teams, all summer long. There is a severe shortage of 02 pitchers in these parts. She also has a very solid bat. We have never asked for any favors or special treatment, but she tends to sit less than other players on the team she is picking up for and gets preferential treatment for her secondary position. I think it's because teams have such a hard time finding a solid pickup pitcher she gets pampered.

We are picking up the end of Nov and were just asked to pick up in January, both for local teams playing out of state. Not bragging, but showing that there is such a need that we aren't even asked to cover part of the tournament fee. It's been a lot of fun, it has been great for her confidence, she can now walk on the field with any team and make an impact. One time she was asked to pick up for the last place team in the low level local league and sent the team with her high school teammates home in the first round of the playoff. She pitched against the team that ended up winning the league, without her the team lost 18-0 being run ruled 3 innings. With her pitching they lost 2-0 and had some very unhappy opposing coaches.

It also helps that early on we discussed that picking up can be more fun that playing with your own team, if things go south you just don't answer their call the next time. Some of our best memories are from picking up.

Oct 4, 2018
Never go with just 9. One concussion and your playing with 8. We’ve had two girls get concussions in back to back game. Glad we had 11 with us.

For a 10U or 12U standard tournament with nothing much on the line, then you play with 8. I think that's a better message to the team and the parents at that age. We've gone to many tournaments with 9 and been just fine.

Oct 4, 2018
We're asked to pick up this Saturday (for a team of lesser experience) and I told the coach the wise words that came right from my 10 year old's mouth:

"I don't want the other girls and their parents mad at me and their coach if I bat 4th and pitch the bracket games".

I 100% agree with her.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
You mean when the team has 15 kids and they bring in 5 guest players because the head org said you had to?
If you bring in a guest player because you NEED them then yes by all means they should play and get FAIR play time
If guest players show up because the org says so they can rot on the bench for all I care... we as parents shouldn’t be enabling that crap

Sorry, I don't understand why they would do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812