have you ever asked someone to guest play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
and in same sentence say "but I cannot guarantee any playing time"

to me, if you ask someone to guest play, even if only due to lack of subs, you owe it to them to respect their time (and parents time), and at least play them some (and not a token PA and 2 innings on defense over several pool games).

thoughts?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If a guest player is not playing every inning of every game, then I would question if they were really needed. Have had situations with regular players where they had something else and could not be there for a game or even a day. Enter the guest player that is taking the regular players spot for the entire event. When the regular player finally shows up they will get playing time as it becomes available to give other players a break. It is no different than a job in the real world, if you are not there to do your job, they find someone else who will be more than happy to step in.

Jun 11, 2013
We would almost always have a guest at least play as much as everyone else. We did play on a team that would sometimes ask a player who was trying out for the team come to a local tournament and we would play them when possible but they always knew what the deal was.

Jul 22, 2015
Ditto above. Been on both sides of it. Don't ask me to guest play unless you NEED me. Wouldn't mind sitting some innings, but if you don't need them 90% of the time then you don't need to ask them in my opinion. Only exception for me would be a pitcher only or a player you were essentially just giving a tryout.

Apr 1, 2017
The few times we've done it was because of injury/vacations/etc and we only had 8 or 9 available, so needed someone for depth. They played similar to everyone else. The only "rules" we follow is they would be the player sitting the first inning and would bat 10th.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
and in same sentence say "but I cannot guarantee any playing time"
to me, if you ask someone to guest play, even if only due to lack of subs, you owe it to them to respect their time (and parents time), and at least play them some (and not a token PA and 2 innings on defense over several pool games).

Nope, though I have idiots who have.

If we need a guest player, she gets treated like a full member of the team. She plays at least as much as everyone else - generall taking the fielding spot of who can't be there and she will fit in the batting line up where she kind of belongs especially if she earns it.

If you take my DD as a guest player, we set those expectations as well (not an issue anymore, but in younger ages it was important).

Sep 19, 2018
A guest, unless it is very clear up front, should play. Taking a turn resting like everyone else is fair. They don't have to play every inning of every game.

My dd was asked to guest because a team was short. "be on the field ready to go at 7:00AM" We got there and one of the girls who could not make the day decided she could make the first game. The game started and my dd was sitting on the bench. Uhhhg!!!! They did get her in the game . 2nd and 3rd games she played the full game @ 3B and SS.

All in all, she enjoyed the day. But to the point, we could have both slept another hour or more if you didn't really need her.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
You mean when the team has 15 kids and they bring in 5 guest players because the head org said you had to?
If you bring in a guest player because you NEED them then yes by all means they should play and get FAIR play time
If guest players show up because the org says so they can rot on the bench for all I care... we as parents shouldn’t be enabling that crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog