Have to make cuts, feeling awful

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Just posting to vent a bit.

This year, our middle school team had 21 girls sign up. I put a limit of 15 on the roster. I never want to cut players, but we've had 15 most years and even that is difficult to manage. In our league everybody bats, but getting everybody enough playing time is tough, and quite frankly, getting 1-2 ABs per game isn't making them a whole lot better.

One of the girls we've decided to not carry on the roster played with us for a couple years at 10u, but opted out last summer. She's one of the youngest in this group (some of her classmates are still 10u, but based on her birthday, she has to move up for the league we're in). Objectively, she did not deserve to make the team. She's not particularly skilled, missing a full year clearly hurt her development, and though she always wants to play it doesn't show up in hustle/effort on the field. She's also only in 5th grade, and this team is 5th-8th graders (we play in a pretty low level rec league where it's not as crazy as it sounds). The final decision was between her an a new 8th grader who is probably at about the same level, but our goal is to get these girls ready for high school, so she wins the tiebreaker.

Back to the girl we aren't keeping: She's a good kid, and I know her mom pretty well. She's the president of the PTO (we'll see if "politics" is a thing at our school!). We really do want her around, and we want to keep working with her. The last thing I want is to discourage her from playing. So I told mom that she was welcome to practice with us. She would be able to sub if we're ever short players (I'd probably have her sub even if we had 10 or 11 for the game because why not?). And if she commits to it this year, she has a spot on the team next year even if we do tryouts.

In all, I think we came up with a fair, reasonable plan that balances what's best for the team and what's best for her, but there is nothing fun about this. I don't want to cut a 10-year-old girl from a team. Cutting a junior in high school who doesn't have what it takes isn't easy, but I won't lose sleep over it. But this sucks, and I really hope in the future we get exactly the number of players we want for this level so we never have to have tryouts again.

I hope I handled everything the right way, if there is a right way to tell a kid she isn't quite good enough right now.

Oh, and now I have to go tell another girl (whose sister is on our HS team) that she also isn't good enough. This is an awful day.

May 20, 2015
my last year coaching MS i kept 24......i had volunteers at practice, so it wasn't bad......our AD allowed me to carry 12, and created a B schedule for us.....they got i think 8 games in (regular MS team got 12 plus playoffs....)

throw a COVID year in there with no school ball, and the MS team has 12 total this year......high school has 15......COVID cost us a lot of depth

my only question: will the others that weren't offered a practice position going to balk......and what will you (and admin) do if some of them ask to stay on as practice players?

Apr 20, 2015
Why do you want to do something special for this kid vs the others you had to cut? If the team is 5th through 8th grade then I would think it would be assumed that you would need to be exceptional as a 5th grader to make the team

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Yeah I don’t see what the issue is. Kids have to learn the dynamics of trying out and not making teams. This seems like an “everyone gets a trophy” situation. Maybe cutting her and explaining why as you did here will either motivate her or allow her/parents to realize she doesn’t want to play.

Also, 5th through 8th? Yikes, that is a large age gap.

May 20, 2015
thinking more about it, I'd say either you make the practice player option available to all (which is a good way to build capacity & depth), or you make your cuts and stick with it......picking & choosing sounds like a recipe for disaster imho

other option is to keep 12 with 4 practice players (with a chance to gain time) - something of that nature - but to have different standards for different players sounds like it's waiting to bite you in the butt down the road

Mar 6, 2016
Can you guys clarify how or what a Middle School team is? ..and why do you have MS teams instead of local town teams? I'm in So. Calif and the Middle Schools/Junior Highs are usually 6-8 grades and there are not school sports teams. All sports are played within the city/town you live in. Each town/city has it's own REC league or girls play Travel ball wherever they want or can make a team. Are there no local REC leagues there? Is the MS team essentially a REC level team or is it a TB level team?

Just wondering, trying to wrap my head around the MS team concept. For my DD who is in 7th grade, she is now in 12U travel, but there is also a REC league for our city for girls to play in as well.

I lived in Texas when I was in Junior High and we did have a football and basketball team for our school but baseball was through the local league. Are the coaches who coach the MS teams teachers at the school or walk on coaches?

We usually don't have school based teams until HS and was trying to figure out how that would work out here for MS.

thx

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Is it possible to carry a roster of 20 BUT let the girls know that the best 12 (or whatever) will play in the games? This way the the lesser girls can practice, maybe surprise you, and you'll have enough to scrimmage for practice. That's the way our MS did it. After a few games a lot of the lower end girls didn't come to games so much, but were there for the practice.

Oct 10, 2018
Can you guys clarify how or what a Middle School team is? ..and why do you have MS teams instead of local town teams?

It may be different for other states but here in NY - MS for our area is 6-8 and offer "Modified" sports - interscholastic games but no championships. It appeared to mostly be something for kids to do after school and to prepare them for playing in HS.

We have local Rec and Travel, but the rec league only offers up to 9th grade and no JV or V players can join. They run at the same time as school ball, and NY does not have a "dark rule", so they do it as a courtesy to the school and deem it a hazard to have someone with that much skill playing rec. Local travel teams still schedule practice/tournaments most weekends during the MS/HS season.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can you guys clarify how or what a Middle School team is? ..and why do you have MS teams instead of local town teams? I'm in So. Calif and the Middle Schools/Junior Highs are usually 6-8 grades and there are not school sports teams. All sports are played within the city/town you live in. Each town/city has it's own REC league or girls play Travel ball wherever they want or can make a team. Are there no local REC leagues there? Is the MS team essentially a REC level team or is it a TB level team?

Just wondering, trying to wrap my head around the MS team concept. For my DD who is in 7th grade, she is now in 12U travel, but there is also a REC league for our city for girls to play in as well.

I lived in Texas when I was in Junior High and we did have a football and basketball team for our school but baseball was through the local league. Are the coaches who coach the MS teams teachers at the school or walk on coaches?

We usually don't have school based teams until HS and was trying to figure out how that would work out here for MS.

thx
:) around here its kinda just after school sports with your friends for a few weeks.

Usually by that time the travel bug has bit or not....
So it becomes a school social thing, with travel as priority.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom