Hating this HS season so far for multiple reasons.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Today we reached what I think is the breaking point. Coach said that their game, which they lost 0-1 was disgusting and he was embarrassed. Team had 0 errors, DD pitched and struck out 11 in 6 innings (away game) and gave up 2 hits. We struggled hitting, had 11 SO but 4 hits. It was a pitching dual. Numerous players were talking about how they felt it was a great game and thought they played well and then they get told this. DD2 said her and several others have already said they are not playing next year. DD1 said she is going to talk with AD.
Leaving after the season will just mean the next group will have to endure the torture. If DD2's not coming back next year anyway, there's nothing to lose by making a walk-out statement now. If DD2 is already the starting pitcher as a freshman, they'd be in a world of hurt if she left. And if others on the team walk during the season too, maybe the AD will get the picture and make the necessary changes.

Mar 29, 2017
We have considered that, but DD2 wants to letter. I told her after she gets her letter, she needs to tell the AD and HC she won’t be back and why.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
here in NY, the only qualification to be a HS coach is to be a teacher. doesn't mater what you know about the sport. 10 weeks and a check. that being said, we have had some really good coaches. and a lot of really bad ones.

Mar 29, 2017
I would almost prefer a teacher. They would (hopefully) at least know how to treat young women with respect and dignity. The teachers that I have know as coaches also researched and wanted to learn how to improve as coaches.

Apr 28, 2014
Our coach has a perception of being intimidating to many of the freshman. That said he's been coaching at the school for 21 years. I have heard it all about him from the parents. But bottom line is that he wins and has a strong program. Most of the people complaining are not accustomed to high level travel ball. But you can't say anything as they will start pointing to excuses. "Kids play because of who they know not their skills". All the while the team is undefeated halfway through the season.

Nov 29, 2009
Don't be jealous, but DD's HS season and career came to an end last night. One win away from making the playoffs. Coach had no clue as to how to put a line up together. DD had the highest OBP, 3 HR's, second highest BA on them, yet batted 5 or 6 the last half of the year. Meanwhile .200 hitters batting at the beginning of order who couldn't get on base. It took every bit of self control to not talk to the coach about this. We had a good relationship, but I'm not the one getting paid to do her job. We competed agains the best teams in the district yet laid eggs against teams below us. Just a very sad situation. They will not have any pitching or impact players for years to come. This was THE year that could have been special. Cue the sad clown music.

In a way the coach was in a no-win situation. If you put all the better hitters in the top 4 spots. They get on base and there's no one to push them around. You bat them later in the line up and hope you have a runner or two on base for them to move. Pick your poison.

It may have been "THE" year, but it sounds like the team didn't have enough offense to pull it off. It takes at least 6 players who can hit well to great for a team to be relevent.

Oct 21, 2016
I would almost prefer a teacher. They would (hopefully) at least know how to treat young women with respect and dignity. The teachers that I have know as coaches also researched and wanted to learn how to improve as coaches.
What about if the coach teaches 2nd grade, and runs the teams like a 2nd grade class?

May 17, 2012
In a way the coach was in a no-win situation. If you put all the better hitters in the top 4 spots. They get on base and there's no one to push them around. You bat them later in the line up and hope you have a runner or two on base for them to move. Pick your poison.

Analytics would disagree with everything you said. There is a way to optimize your lineup.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Developing a lineup from inexperienced high school players can definitely be a challenge. DD's senior season was UGLY, but I do not fault the coach for the way the lineup was constructed. My opinion is, and always has been that the better hitters should bat as often as possible. For DD's senior season, they started the lineup with 3 seniors. The leadoff hitter was the shortstop and finished the season with a .273 average. The #2 hitter was the center fielder who finished at .238. DD was the 3 hitter and finished at .425. The other 6 starters batted a combined .153. Coach simply didn't have many options...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802