Hating this HS season so far for multiple reasons.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2017
Developing a lineup from inexperienced high school players can definitely be a challenge. DD's senior season was UGLY, but I do not fault the coach for the way the lineup was constructed. My opinion is, and always has been that the better hitters should bat as often as possible. For DD's senior season, they started the lineup with 3 seniors. The leadoff hitter was the shortstop and finished the season with a .273 average. The #2 hitter was the center fielder who finished at .238. DD was the 3 hitter and finished at .425. The other 6 starters batted a combined .153. Coach simply didn't have many options...

That sounds like a rough season.

Few more games and it’s all over. Then on to some real softball. Travel finally starts.

It’s amazing though. My DD has really be pitching great. Most games she throws are double digit strikeouts. But fly balls and HGBs that are normally outs for her travel team are doubles, triples or HRs for school. Pitches that are normally strikes end up as balls because of how the catcher receives a pitch.

Just a few more games.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD is only a freshman, but after 3 years of middle school ball and half way into her first year of high school ball (and I hate this saying) school ball is what it is. It seems if you go into it with any expectations you will be most likely disappointed. She has had 4 different coaches over the last 4 years of school ball, so it's been tough to adapt to a different coaching style every year. You almost have to go into with an open mind that DD may not play where she normally does, bat in her regular line up spot, or bat at all for that matter. Obviously the girls want to win, but the part my kid enjoys the most is just playing with her friends from school. If you can get past the headaches and annoyances and take them in stride high school ball can be a fun time. If it's not fun for the girls anymore because of these issues it's probably a good time to walk away.
I should have asked you to step to my side of the stands and be a spy for me so that I can know what is being said about me. LOL You have a great kid! I told your coach that if she gave me any trouble I was going to grab her and throw her off of the field. He was kind of taken back and then told me what a great kid she is. Your dd was smiling as I said it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That sounds like a rough season.

Few more games and it’s all over. Then on to some real softball. Travel finally starts.

It’s amazing though. My DD has really be pitching great. Most games she throws are double digit strikeouts. But fly balls and HGBs that are normally outs for her travel team are doubles, triples or HRs for school. Pitches that are normally strikes end up as balls because of how the catcher receives a pitch.

Just a few more games.

Yes. DD enjoyed certain aspects of high school ball, but she was also relieved when it was over. DD's high school coach spent extra time working with the catcher last year. His philosophy was that the catcher should always set up in the same position and just move the glove for the pitch. Talk about losing strikes... I feel your pain completely.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I understand everyone’s hatred of HS softball, but I will say that when your kid is injured for most of her senior year, when she returns it is glorious! DD has suffered through Scapular Thorasic Syndrome throughout her senior year. She has been back at 100% for a week now, only one week from district tournament. Don’t regret something that you may not ever have.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I should have asked you to step to my side of the stands and be a spy for me so that I can know what is being said about me. LOL You have a great kid! I told your coach that if she gave me any trouble I was going to grab her and throw her off of the field. He was kind of taken back and then told me what a great kid she is. Your dd was smiling as I said it.

Oh I can only imagine what I would've heard lol. In all honesty, if anyone doesn't realize how lucky they are to have you coach their kid I don't know what to tell them.

I'm guessing she didn't tell her coach that you were her hitting coach lol. He's a super nice guy but doesn't have a lot of coaching experience. When they were looking for a JV coach he raised his hand, so you have to respect that.

Mar 29, 2017
Well. Update on the season and situation.

We have one last game tomorrow. Can wait. DD1 has been injured for a while and hasn’t played much. She did manage to get cleared for her senior game only. She hit a double and then grounded out but had an RBI on it. She was then pulled out and her replacement went 0-2. Slow dribbler to F3 on the first and SO on second.

Had a game where DD2 pitched, for the W, and the other pitchers name was put in paper. Had a game where DD2 pitched and DD1s name was in the paper.

Word on the sidelines is there is a group of parents that have been talking to the AD. Kids are going to be talking to the AD after the season. They are all fed up. Instead of the players wanting the head coach gone, they are also trying to get rid of the AC.

HC rescheduled a fame against a AAA school, that’s not in our league for make up. He thinks with this win, we will make playoffs. We are a AAAA school and in 13th. Top 10 go to playoffs.

Sad thing is, no of the kids want to play after this next game. It was supposed to Monday but was rescheduled to tomorrow cause of rain. DD2 went to travel practice on Monday instead of school practice which they had since the game was moved. Today she was asked if travel is more important then the school team and if she’s rather be playing for them. and she said “Uh,Yeah”. She said HC was not to happy with that. HC also asked why she went to travel practice and she said”cause you extended the season and we should have been done”. Lol. Kid kills me. She just doesn’t care any more.

The spring award ceremony is going to be interesting. See how many favorites get Letters and how many that actually deserve it cause they played almost ever inning and did their job get over looked.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well. Update on the season and situation.

We have one last game tomorrow. Can wait. DD1 has been injured for a while and hasn’t played much. She did manage to get cleared for her senior game only. She hit a double and then grounded out but had an RBI on it. She was then pulled out and her replacement went 0-2. Slow dribbler to F3 on the first and SO on second.

Had a game where DD2 pitched, for the W, and the other pitchers name was put in paper. Had a game where DD2 pitched and DD1s name was in the paper.

Word on the sidelines is there is a group of parents that have been talking to the AD. Kids are going to be talking to the AD after the season. They are all fed up. Instead of the players wanting the head coach gone, they are also trying to get rid of the AC.

HC rescheduled a fame against a AAA school, that’s not in our league for make up. He thinks with this win, we will make playoffs. We are a AAAA school and in 13th. Top 10 go to playoffs.

Sad thing is, no of the kids want to play after this next game. It was supposed to Monday but was rescheduled to tomorrow cause of rain. DD2 went to travel practice on Monday instead of school practice which they had since the game was moved. Today she was asked if travel is more important then the school team and if she’s rather be playing for them. and she said “Uh,Yeah”. She said HC was not to happy with that. HC also asked why she went to travel practice and she said”cause you extended the season and we should have been done”. Lol. Kid kills me. She just doesn’t care any more.

The spring award ceremony is going to be interesting. See how many favorites get Letters and how many that actually deserve it cause they played almost ever inning and did their job get over looked.
In a week or two regardless of who letters or receives awards, at least you are done with HS ball. Regardless of who the coach is, HS ball is what it is so, don't expect a new coach to change anything. Again, you are done and TB should be all that you need anyway.

Mar 29, 2017
Well, the last game has been played. DD 2 sat the entire game. She said none of the coaches said a word to her or DD1. Had a parent ask me why DD2 wasn’t playing and when I said I didn’t know, he said”oh, I was expecting you to say she was sick”. Told him what happened Tuesday and he said “Ahhh, knowing this guy, that’s what it is”. DD2 said”it’s whatever”. Now, she started all of the other games in the season either as pitcher or somewhere in the field. 3rd highest batting average and OBP by GC. Probably could have used her in a “must win to make playoffs”.

On a good note, travel team had a scrimmage last night. Looked ok. Warm up tournament local this weekend then off to DE for Memorial Day. It was great seeing a quality team/coaches on the field again. Ahhhhhh

Jun 27, 2018
Well, the last game has been played. DD 2 sat the entire game. She said none of the coaches said a word to her or DD1. Had a parent ask me why DD2 wasn’t playing and when I said I didn’t know, he said”oh, I was expecting you to say she was sick”. Told him what happened Tuesday and he said “Ahhh, knowing this guy, that’s what it is”. DD2 said”it’s whatever”. Now, she started all of the other games in the season either as pitcher or somewhere in the field. 3rd highest batting average and OBP by GC. Probably could have used her in a “must win to make playoffs”.

On a good note, travel team had a scrimmage last night. Looked ok. Warm up tournament local this weekend then off to DE for Memorial Day. It was great seeing a quality team/coaches on the field again. Ahhhhhh

Some of these coaches at the high school level kill me. Some have a authority complex I think. Look I’ll be the first one to thank someone for volunteering their time. Not every coach does it honorably. Our high school season was a disaster, even for the starting 9 that was never, ever changed. I mean would it kill a coach to use some bench players when you are up in a game and the final score was 17-2? Would it kill you to maybe let your other pitcher/catcher get some innings? How about your IF? OF?Coach, do you even know that some of your starters really don’t care and talk about not returning next year and some even have already quit tournament ball and are not playing this summer? Kids ordering and receiving food during the game and nothing happens. Kids skipping practice and nothing happens. Meanwhile you have benched kids that work hard and are dying to play. Kids that play tournament ball and thrive there but you never even give them a chance to prove themselves in practice or challenge for a position. You never even talk to them or really watch them in practice, oh wait because even if there is a practice it’s half attended or it’s just some hitting. You have a hitter on the bench that you gave up on too fast when she was clearly in a slump after switching schools and adjusting to the new team. Now she’s lucky to have one to two AB’s every two weeks. How can a girl (who hit .700 in school last year and .500 in tournament ball with an .800 slugging percentage) work out of a slump when you shut her down? You can’t work out of a slump with no at bats. Thank God TB starts soon. Rant over. 17-2 and no one comes off the bench. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12