Hating this HS season so far for multiple reasons.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2017
First, DD1 (Senior) and DD2 (Freshman) are playing their last year together. So that alone really sucks.

Both made V, which is good. Problem is, DD1, who is being recruited as a catcher for a D3 is playing OF. She’s a slow runner. Can’t track a fly ball very well. Never really played OF since she had to in rec. All of her career up till now she’s been in the dirt at all positions except for pitcher. Sees no catching time in game, but catches in practice. She was the starting catcher last season until she got hurt, had major problems with HC and quit team. DD 2 is a pitcher. So we were really looking forward to a possible battery situation, which kind of seemed obvious to me since they know each other so well, being sisters and all. Other catcher has major pitch receiving issues and will not have any caught stealings since she either rainbows or three hops it to second.

DD 2 is having major issue with pitch calling. “Pitching coach” offers absolutely no words of encouragement or adjustments, calls change ups WAY to much. DD2 has a decent CU, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Even after her telling him it’s not working, he has her throw it probably 75%of the time.

Both have said how little the coaches have confidence in the entire team. They are rude, degrading, run the same drills over and over at practice, don’t teach or use bunting. Multiple coaches have quit due to the HCs treatment of players and coaches. DD2 has already said that she will not play another year for current HC so she is done after this year.

At least they are in the same field one last time. After this, DD2 will play travel only until college. It’s a shame really. I would have loved to have seen the achievements she could have accomplished like possibly all district etc if she played all through school.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Sorry that your kids (and others) have to deal with this scenario. Sadly my advice is to either leave the program or suffer quietly or it may get worse for you and your family. #guiltyuntilyouproveinnocence

Mar 29, 2017
Unfortunately we are suffering quietly until the end of the season. Just enjoying them being on the field together. Then we will walk away.

Oct 21, 2016
I'm right there with you on the frustrations of HS ball. DD is a freshman and made Varsity. She is just coming back from knee surgery in Aug. so she has had some trouble getting her bat going, but there is zero coaching to help her. The coach is in her 3rd year straight from playing D1 ball and all she does is manage the team, and poorly in my opinion. During practice the OFs go and do drill by themselves with no coaching. The Varsity team has 16 players and almost everyone plays every game. If you get a DNP for a game you are guaranteed to start the next game. It's like we are back in Little League. DD has been in a time share with 2 other girls in RF, and the other 2 girls have 8 errors in 16 chances, and they have 1 hit in 20 combined ABs. Both the other girls are infielders by trade that didn't make the rotation so coach sent them to the OF, which is so Little League. How do you keep putting players like that out there. My DD has no errors in her limited time out there and is 2 for 11 on the year with 3 walks. Worse than all of this is the overall culture of the team. The captains completely run the team and treat the freshman like crap. I get the freshman hazing where they have to carry all the equipment, but they don't even speak to some of the freshman, and coach is either oblivious or just turns a blind eye. It's all such a let down after DD had such high hopes and expectations for HS ball. We will suffer quietly thru the rest of this season and wait for travel ball, but DD is already talking about running track instead next year. I don't even know what to tell DD anymore. After a long rehab after surgery with a huge push to be ready for HS ball, it has been nothing like what we expected.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD is only a freshman, but after 3 years of middle school ball and half way into her first year of high school ball (and I hate this saying) school ball is what it is. It seems if you go into it with any expectations you will be most likely disappointed. She has had 4 different coaches over the last 4 years of school ball, so it's been tough to adapt to a different coaching style every year. You almost have to go into with an open mind that DD may not play where she normally does, bat in her regular line up spot, or bat at all for that matter. Obviously the girls want to win, but the part my kid enjoys the most is just playing with her friends from school. If you can get past the headaches and annoyances and take them in stride high school ball can be a fun time. If it's not fun for the girls anymore because of these issues it's probably a good time to walk away.

Mar 29, 2017
Hube111. That’s good that she’s recovered from surgery and playing. At least I guess you can use HS as a warm up for travel.

My DDs want to be competitive and get frustrated they are in a team that will maybe be 500 at the end of the season. Thing is, we beat the teams we should and lose to any decent team. They restructured the divisions so ours is pretty weak. My wife and I just sit and watch out kids. We cheer for all the girls. Pretty much keep to ourselves otherwise. Only a few more weeks then HS ball is over for them both.

Aug 12, 2014
HS ball is interesting. DD doesn't play travel ball so the school team is her only option. It's a fall sport here, and she played her freshman year on JV. The HC was a total a-hole, but she didn't have to deal with him much. Then he had a spring/summer team and she had to deal with him and hated it. So she didn't play last fall, and it was the total right move. She might have made varsity but the JV coach left so the HC and the AC ran both teams. DD's friends who played all hated it.

The good news is after the season, HC said he was stepping down (his DD is graduating so I'm sure that's why) so DD and her friends are probably going to play this fall. They haven't hired a new coach yet, but it's not a high bar to be a more pleasant person than the old one. The shame of it is that he's really good at coaching the game - our school has dominated their conference for years and went to state the two years before this year.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
First, DD1 (Senior) and DD2 (Freshman) are playing their last year together. So that alone really sucks.

Both made V, which is good. Problem is, DD1, who is being recruited as a catcher for a D3 is playing OF. She’s a slow runner. Can’t track a fly ball very well. Never really played OF since she had to in rec. All of her career up till now she’s been in the dirt at all positions except for pitcher. Sees no catching time in game, but catches in practice. She was the starting catcher last season until she got hurt, had major problems with HC and quit team. DD 2 is a pitcher. So we were really looking forward to a possible battery situation, which kind of seemed obvious to me since they know each other so well, being sisters and all. Other catcher has major pitch receiving issues and will not have any caught stealings since she either rainbows or three hops it to second.

DD 2 is having major issue with pitch calling. “Pitching coach” offers absolutely no words of encouragement or adjustments, calls change ups WAY to much. DD2 has a decent CU, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Even after her telling him it’s not working, he has her throw it probably 75%of the time.

Both have said how little the coaches have confidence in the entire team. They are rude, degrading, run the same drills over and over at practice, don’t teach or use bunting. Multiple coaches have quit due to the HCs treatment of players and coaches. DD2 has already said that she will not play another year for current HC so she is done after this year.

At least they are in the same field one last time. After this, DD2 will play travel only until college. It’s a shame really. I would have loved to have seen the achievements she could have accomplished like possibly all district etc if she played all through school.

Just grin and bear it. DD broke her ankle 5 days before our first game. What should have been a huge year for her is in the toilet. Right now she is going through PT and worse case scenario will be getting release on May 16th. That would put her back the first day of the state tourney if we make it. In only two visits to the PT she is ahead of schedule so hopefully she cuts a couple of weeks off of the timeline.

Apr 20, 2015
In Indiana no HS ball until 9th grade but we have started MS ball and I have to say it's great. The games are terrible but our team is awesome and full of great kids and great parents. I know most people are struggling but things are great here in New Palestine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2017
Today we reached what I think is the breaking point. Coach said that their game, which they lost 0-1 was disgusting and he was embarrassed. Team had 0 errors, DD pitched and struck out 11 in 6 innings (away game) and gave up 2 hits. We struggled hitting, had 11 SO but 4 hits. It was a pitching dual. Numerous players were talking about how they felt it was a great game and thought they played well and then they get told this. DD2 said her and several others have already said they are not playing next year. DD1 said she is going to talk with AD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478