Has anyone ever had a pitch who's hand and fingers really swell up after pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Some pain involved, but not significant.

Thoughts? Medical diagnosis?

Never seen it but heard others dd having this. General consensus is thoracic outlet syndrome.
Have then check with a sports chiropractor that can adjust the clavicle and first rib. If that’s the issue it will resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2014
My daughter had this condition. It's more than likely thoracic outlet syndrome. It's a very serious condition that could end up causing blood clots and/or nerve damage if not treated. The short and skinny of it is a nerve, vein, and artery pass through the thoracic outlet and that bundle is being pinched or rubbed when the arm is overhead causing a stop or reduction in blood flow.

The first step is get the diagnosis and try physical therapy. This works for a lot of kids. Unfortunately for us, it didn't work and our DD required the surgery. The good news is she had the surgery last February and has made a full recovery. She had a personal best of 63mph two weeks ago. Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter had this condition. It's more than likely thoracic outlet syndrome. It's a very serious condition that could end up causing blood clots and/or nerve damage if not treated. The short and skinny of it is a nerve, vein, and artery pass through the thoracic outlet and that bundle is being pinched or rubbed when the arm is overhead causing a stop or reduction in blood flow.

The first step is get the diagnosis and try physical therapy. This works for a lot of kids. Unfortunately for us, it didn't work and our DD required the surgery. The good news is she had the surgery last February and has made a full recovery. She had a personal best of 63mph two weeks ago. Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

What age did you notice this issue?

What age do girls tend to get it?

How long did full recovery from surgery take?

Jun 29, 2014
What age did you notice this issue?
She started showing symptoms at 13.

What age do girls tend to get it?
I've read articles where it reared it's ugly head at the collegiate level and I've read about it showing at my DD's age.

How long did full recovery from surgery take?

We're coming up on a year now and I'd say she's still not 100% but close. Stamina and consistency are what's missing at this point. She also lost her movement pitches for several months but they came back and are better than before. Her rise and curve spins are showing a 33+ rps on the revfire and she hit a personal best speed a couple of weeks ago!

IMG_1830.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

This. DD had TOS surgery in Oct. There are some other threads on here as well. search here for blue hand. Ours started in sept of 19 and by summer of 20, it was numb, tingling, and swelling. It can cause vascular and neurological damage. Get it checked out asap. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802