Hardest flaw to fix

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
The thing we've had the hardest time with is weight back/leaning forward (as a result, I believe, of trying to aim). She doesn't do it anymore but it took a long time to break her of it. From watching other new/newish pitchers that seems to be a really common issue.

This one so far. She just felt so strong with the forward posture, it was a struggle to get her to stay back.

Jun 18, 2010
This one so far. She just felt so strong with the forward posture, it was a struggle to get her to stay back.

Often times I see forward posture and the butt sticking out as both related to how the stride leg, hips, and core work. IOW, when I see a weak front side, I also see a butt that is kicking out and a bend at the waist.

Apr 27, 2016
The thing we've had the hardest time with is weight back/leaning forward (as a result, I believe, of trying to aim). She doesn't do it anymore but it took a long time to break her of it. From watching other new/newish pitchers that seems to be a really common issue.

This and DD's drive are the current sticking points for us at the moment. My 10u DD is in her 9th month of pitching (Thanks to DFP!), and it seems that this is one of the toughest mountains to climb during the pitching journey.

Jun 12, 2015
Often times I see forward posture and the butt sticking out as both related to how the stride leg, hips, and core work. IOW, when I see a weak front side, I also see a butt that is kicking out and a bend at the waist.

Yep, mine has the butt out thing going too. She's good with the lean now, time to fix that. It's always something...

Apr 6, 2017
Hahah! I don't read...just realized this was in a pitching forum. I'll exit stage left now :p

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Look at two things:
1. The angle of her stride foot as it lands.
2. The angle of her hips as her stride foot lands.

I'm looking for both to be around 45 degrees.

If the foot lands more closed (or 90 degrees), the hips stay more open and it is easier for the butt to kick out.

For 12 o'clock drills, have her start with her stride foot, and hips at 45, and see if that helps.

This and drive straight ahead instead of trying to get open. The arm over the top will ( ball facing catcher) will get her open enough. If she is rotating her hip she won't stick her butt out. This should clean up her posture as well.

Sep 10, 2013
seems like DD's drive leg gets left behind and messes up with timing.

next thing: palm up at 9. this one has been very tough to fix.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I would say ours has been not dragging the entire side of her foot rather than roll the foot with laces facing the catcher. She can somewhat do it in practice but get in a game and she's dragging the side of the foot.