Hands working down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
You stated previously that you took away "the up through cue". If you don't mind me asking, what is your view of how the general sequence of the swing works at launch: Lower half, upper half and the role of the hands?
Took away the up through it queue to try and straighten out her posture. Seeing the stills and recording myself swinging, I realized she over exaggerating the negative tilt.
Well, I'll tell you what I personally feel when I swing. From the launch position, the first thing I "feel" is my upper body begin the rotation to get the barrel on plane and as that rotation begins, I use my back leg to accelerate that rotation. At this point the hands have still done nothing except resist that rotation until they can't. At that point it's a matter of delivering the barrel to the ball with the thought that my hands continue to resist that rotation and use that lag position to accelerate in the direction of where the ball is coming from as opposed to around my body.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Took away the up through it queue to try and straighten out her posture. Seeing the stills and recording myself swinging, I realized she over exaggerating the negative tilt.
Well, I'll tell you what I personally feel when I swing. From the launch position, the first thing I "feel" is my upper body begin the rotation to get the barrel on plane and as that rotation begins, I use my back leg to accelerate that rotation. At this point the hands have still done nothing except resist that rotation until they can't. At that point it's a matter of delivering the barrel to the ball with the thought that my hands continue to resist that rotation and use that lag position to accelerate in the direction of where the ball is coming from as opposed to around my body.
If you use the legs or the hips too early and the wrong way, outside pitches will always be tough to hit. The hips should stay square to the plate. No active rotating etc. if you push w your legs, you will surely come out of posture and get around/under the ball.

the energy flow is up and down not around and release.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She was really struggling with anything on the outside half because she was letting the front shoulder fly open. I don't think its as extreme in live swings. I'll get her in the cage tonight and get some video.

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded portion of your reply. Do you mind explaining further?

Thanks!

the lead arm should work up towards the chin from its position during load/stride. It can be a few inches. What that does is clear space for the hands to deliver the barrel on an unimpeded path. So one can be short to the ball, not getting around or dumping under. I use a chop down Barry bonds drill for the feel. You can ‘serve a pizza’ w the top hand for feel. Or just cue the player to get the top hand palm facing the sky a bit.

1629814090266.gif

1629818986752.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for the response. The reason why I asked what your view was concerning the swing, is because It's going to directly impact the way in which you go about helping your DD, and implementing strategies and goals. No matter what suggestions are offered by anyone on the forum.

Try suggestions out first, before having your DD try it. It will help you, help her. Trust me on this.

I agree with what W=W stated in reference to rotation etc. I think in addition to that is the bold above. IMO don't be afraid of the hands and "pushing". Let the hands be more free in being direct to the ball. Right now your thinking of the hands is causing them to be stuck. JMO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have a feeling analyzing these tee swings is a waste of time. I doubt she has all that pre-pitch movement on a live ball....

I think this is new for the OP. It’s why he’s asking for feedback. I think he changed her set up and approach bc of the outside pitch issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478