Hands working down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Tonight we worked on trying to get into a better launch position, and took away the up through it queue. Changed it to line drive.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Tonight we worked on trying to get into a better launch position, and took away the up through it queue. Changed it to line drive.

this is better. Staying through better. Would like to see a moving ball swing. If she is going to be closed she will hit mostly to cf and rf FYI. That’s ok.

the lead arm doesn’t clear space so there is a slight cast/dump . You could do high tee. Bonds drill or front arm drill to get it outta the way and more functional.

Aug 20, 2017
this is better. Staying through better. Would like to see a moving ball swing. If she is going to be closed she will hit mostly to cf and rf FYI. That’s ok.

the lead arm doesn’t clear space so there is a slight cast/dump . You could do high tee. Bonds drill or front arm drill to get it outta the way and more functional.
And if she is gonna be closed pitchers are gonna run her inside. Closed on a live ball at this age typically produces a front shoulder that pulls off the ball early. Why not be neutral?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
And if she is gonna be closed pitchers are gonna run her inside. Closed on a live ball at this age typically produces a front shoulder that pulls off the ball early. Why not be neutral?

yeah, for sure. But w her vertical bat angle she should be able to stay through an inside pitch and shoot it to cf. do I prefer that approach? Only if a kid can’t stay on an outside pitch using a conventional method. The closed stance doesn’t mean you can’t pull. But it does stretch the hips quicker to get to the end ROM faster as well as make space. Hence promoting an inside out type approach, backing the ball up and seeing it deeper.

edit: I don’t mind a kid making a pitcher make a decision. When you crowd the plate or close off you’ll certainly get that inside pitch. Maybe Knowing that helps..

Jul 17, 2012

She was really struggling with anything on the outside half because she was letting the front shoulder fly open. I don't think its as extreme in live swings. I'll get her in the cage tonight and get some video.

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded portion of your reply. Do you mind explaining further?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2017
yeah, for sure. But w her vertical bat angle she should be able to stay through an inside pitch and shoot it to cf. do I prefer that approach? Only if a kid can’t stay on an outside pitch using a conventional method. The closed stance doesn’t mean you can’t pull. But it does stretch the hips quicker to get to the end ROM faster as well as make space. Hence promoting an inside out type approach, backing the ball up and seeing it deeper.

edit: I don’t mind a kid making a pitcher make a decision. When you crowd the plate or close off you’ll certainly get that inside pitch. Maybe Knowing that helps..
I’ve been a Cubs fan all my life and I remember Alfonso Soriano hooking balls all the time lol. I’m sure his stance was “too closed”

Oct 2, 2017
I actually do not. She likes the slow-mo so she can see her swings after we practice. I will get some tonight.
You stated previously that you took away "the up through cue". If you don't mind me asking, what is your view of how the general sequence of the swing works at launch: Lower half, upper half and the role of the hands?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee