Hands apart

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. but it's not a bad idea if one was to try it.

Its no different than pitching styles, it depends on the player preference just like any other grip style EX: Pinky wrap, choke, traditional...
2. There actually are a lot of baseball coaches that incorporate the split grip into their drills.

3. Team Japan struck out the least of any team in the tournament, put the ball in play that made the defense work while hitting the most HR (6) and scoring the tournament best +15 or 35 runs.
In contrast Team USA team with more traditional swing and grip was fourth in the tournament in many offensive categories including Runs scored, (They also lead the tournament by hitting into the most DP) Team USA also lead the tournament in runners LOB.
With this said its not for everyone but if a player has success (like many of the Asian players) with a split grip why would you change...

1. Again it's a terrible idea. You lose 3-5 inches of plate coverage. Most people can't hit outside pitches anyway.

2. Who are these baseball coaches advocating for split grips? Have they produced stats showing improved bat/exit speed?

3. Team USA and Japan had horrific Batting Averages, and Slugging Percents (.273 for USA - it's not a typo, .273). Both were much, much worse than the 40-50 ranked NCAA teams (slugging .464 for #50).
2021-0814-stats.PNG

2021-0814-stats2.PNG

The hitting for Team USA was terrible. So was Japan. Their hand split tricks did not help them at all. Even the regular swing posted in Post#22 is terrible. You won't see a swing that bad on any D1 college baseball team.

Apr 27, 2020
I've been doing this over 20 years, and except for Albert Pujols, I don't remember seeing this. Do you have pics or vids?
Who is your model MLB baseball player? I will get you some pictures....LOL

20+ Years as a coach and you have never seen a player at any level change their grip?
Any given day in MLB you will see hitters adjust their approach depending on the situation including grip, hell, Joey Votto of the REDS is having a career season and you will see him with a traditional grip hands down on the knob or choke up 3" depending on the situation.
When a player chokes up that too reduces the amount of striking surface over the plate if no other adjustments are made. With that said split grip hitters or hitters that choke up tend to keep their front shoulder in longer during the swing so they are not turning out or, away from a pitch on the outside. Go to you tube there are many videos showing players keeping the front shoulder in as was demonstrated by the original team Japan video posted. There are also many using a split grip as a training tool to keep the shoulder in. Again just go to You tube and search split grip hitting.
As far as TEAM USA....This team is made up of the BEST players the U.S. has so, you can pick your college program and I will take Team USA any day of the week to win... Hell, I would even take the Canadian and Japan National teams to win 3 out of 4 vs any college team...

Here is an article on Harrison

Short read on the various styles with data

Jun 8, 2016
Who is your model MLB baseball player? I will get you some pictures....LOL

20+ Years as a coach and you have never seen a player at any level change their grip?
Any given day in MLB you will see hitters adjust their approach depending on the situation including grip, hell, Joey Votto of the REDS is having a career season and you will see him with a traditional grip hands down on the knob or choke up 3" depending on the situation.
When a player chokes up that too reduces the amount of striking surface over the plate if no other adjustments are made. With that said split grip hitters or hitters that choke up tend to keep their front shoulder in longer during the swing so they are not turning out or, away from a pitch on the outside. Go to you tube there are many videos showing players keeping the front shoulder in as was demonstrated by the original team Japan video posted. There are also many using a split grip as a training tool to keep the shoulder in. Again just go to You tube and search split grip hitting.
As far as TEAM USA....This team is made up of the BEST players the U.S. has so, you can pick your college program and I will take Team USA any day of the week to win... Hell, I would even take the Canadian and Japan National teams to win 3 out of 4 vs any college team...

Here is an article on Harrison

Choking up is not usually thought of changing your grip..box grip vs lining up door knocking knuckles is changing your grip which is probably what E was talking about…

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

From your link:
"Further analysis found that normal grip and pinky-off grip showed significantly greater bat speeds than a split grip and a choked-up grip."

Why would anyone promote a grip/swing that is less than optimal?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
1. Again it's a terrible idea. You lose 3-5 inches of plate coverage. Most people can't hit outside pitches anyway.

2. Who are these baseball coaches advocating for split grips? Have they produced stats showing improved bat/exit speed?

3. Team USA and Japan had horrific Batting Averages, and Slugging Percents (.273 for USA - it's not a typo, .273). Both were much, much worse than the 40-50 ranked NCAA teams (slugging .464 for #50).
View attachment 23560

View attachment 23561

The hitting for Team USA was terrible. So was Japan. Their hand split tricks did not help them at all. Even the regular swing posted in Post#22 is terrible. You won't see a swing that bad on any D1 college baseball team.
Pitching dominates in Softball, always has. Considering this was world class pitching, the low run games and those averages aren’t surprising. JMHO

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478