Handling of team/player finances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have lived in 2 cities where there were major thefts from baseball and football. I mean $50,000.
I now want to see bank statements, if I’m paying dues.

Jun 12, 2015
$200 a month or $2400 a year
$2400 a year x 17 girls = $40,800 a year
Plus 2 fundraisers and a tournament

I would love to see what your actually team expenses are, I bet you below 50% overhead.

The year DD played with an org that charged monthly dues, they were due in Sep-Nov, and Jan-May, not all year. That would be $1600 which is on the low end around here. Our dues last year were $1700-ish and the coach ended up a bit out of pocket on expenses. I know this because I'm married to him. There was certainly no profit.

Aug 2, 2019
We're with a new org this fall. We received an email itemizing the fee breakdown for tourneys, practice facilities, league, balls, etc. (Volunteer coaches, BTW) When I added it all up there was a discrepancy between the fees paid by the players, and the total costs. I'm going to find out why.

Seriously, where's that $6.00 dollars going? Coach Sharon had better have a good answer.
Finally got to the bottom of this. Sharon bought a 3 pack of wiffles that she didn't itemize on the fee breakdown. Thought I was going to have to call the state attorney general for a bit. It's quite the relief I must say.

Oct 4, 2018
Finally got to the bottom of this. Sharon bought a 3 pack of wiffles that she didn't itemize on the fee breakdown. Thought I was going to have to call the state attorney general for a bit. It's quite the relief I must say.

:D

I'm in the camp that the parents need to back off.

In so many cases, we coaches are volunteers. We put in hundreds of hours on the field helping your girls. We put in dozens of hours (perhaps hundreds) with the administrative BS.

At the beginning of the season, we get prices on the things we need. We estimate some. We round up. We add things like "umpire fees for friendlies" or "indoor cage time for rainy days" which may or may not happen. Sometimes we even put in a buffer.

Yes, we'll show you if you ask. And yes, we have it on a spreadsheet.

But for parents who do nothing to help, it's annoying to be questioned and challenged. Quite honestly, if you're doing nothing to help the team and then bitch and moan about the budget, guess who I don't want on the team next year. Yup, it's you.

Jun 8, 2016
Quite honestly, if you're doing nothing to help the team and then bitch and moan about the budget, guess who I don't want on the team next year. Yup, it's you.
Your tune might change if the bitching and moaning is coming from the parents of the SS who bats 4th or your top pitcher...

Amazing how people took my original question and turned it to contempt for parents complaining about the budget

Aug 2, 2019
Your tune might change if the bitching and moaning is coming from the parents of the SS who bats 4th or your top pitcher...

Amazing how people took my original question and turned it to contempt for parents complaining about the budget
Lighten up, Francis.

May 23, 2018
Our org does the finances in what I think is a somewhat antiquated way. Basically a parent/person associated with the team handles it themselves and if you want to find out what your balance is or find out an itemized list of spending, you have to ask them. I can see this being ok (maybe..) for a private 1 team sort of deal but we are with a fairly large org and I would think there should be a better way (e.g. something everybody can access online) of doing this. So I am looking to see what others out there are doing for this, in particular those with fairly large local/national orgs.
There are two schools of thought on this: the first is that parents are entitled to see any of the financial statements. The second school Of thought is that annual financial statement is issued.

The biggest problem that I have with not receiving financial statements is that, more likely than not, you organization is not a 501(c)(3) entity . It was a legitimate 501(c)(3) entry, they would be required to fill out a form 990 at the end of the year. The 990 summarizes receipts and disbursements, which could be put on the entity’s website. This is why a lot of organizations cannot sustain themselves – they are not incorporated or they are not being recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. I know in Massachusetts you have to be Inc. for two years before you could evaluate sell certain fundraising activities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee