Handling of team/player finances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
part of the issue is it if the team is operating as not for profit, as mentioned above, it should be not for profit, and needs to account for its spending. if it is for profit, technically, has to pay taxes, including on all that fundraising revenue.

Apr 16, 2013
It's real easy for everyone to say they don't care or are happy not knowing, until you've been on a team where you come up short. Yup, you were told x$ will = x tournaments and y gear. Then at the end of the season you get an email asking for a few more dollars to make that last tournament. You do the math in your head and it doesn't add up. Sure, the bookkeeper could have made an error when asking for funds at the beginning of the season. Or... That's when you request to see the books.

May 6, 2015
Also to make certain that when they are buying uniforms, bags, helmets etc. that it adds up. most teams we have been have budgeted more than these actually cost (estimates not taking into account volume discounts, etc.), so final payment got reduced or eliminated. but, if everything is not transparent, this difference could easily wind up in someones pocket.

btw, making the personal accounts visible to only a small subset (ie that family) and having team balance sheet available to everyone is pretty simple actually.

Oct 29, 2018
It is all too common for mistakes to be made or embezzlement issues to unfortunately occur in any type of non-profit or volunteer parent organization. Best to have at least two sets of eyes on the accounting always.

Whenever I have been involved in finance issues for any sport or youth organization (and I try to avoid this nowadays) I make sure any accounting or information is always available to everyone if they ask. I don't make it publicly accessible to all members unless they ask, however. Definitely to other leadership.

This whole "personal account" thing that is mentioned is not how our teams have been run in our area. Team fees are the same for each girl period. One team we were on did do either a fee or a fundraising activity and it went to one pot and if someone falls short on their fundraising or someone does more, it all goes to the same thing. You just had to do the minimum fee at least. I don't like fundraising personally. On the other hand sometimes girls play more and some play less but we all pay the same fees. It's not all going to be perfectly equal in a team sport I guess.

Sometimes it is also good to have a buffer amount of a few hundred dollars for each team so that if you do quarterly or monthly fees and a girl drops out mid season you have enough money to continue without having to adjust. Then any leftovers can go to a team party or a gift for the kids at the end. Or to carry over if you know you are going forward with the same group.

May 29, 2015
I think this has been lingering under the surface of where this discussion has gone (not where it started, sorry OP) ... or maybe I’m just curious in other peoples’ opinions ...

Does the reaction (or policy) on this tell you anything about the character and morals of the coach or organization? If so, does that impact your thoughts on your child participating with that group?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'm firmly in the camp that you have to believe completely in the team and the organization your DD plays for. There was a pretty steep learning curve for me before I said "F@#% IT", I've got to let all of the extraneous stuff go. If you don't the problem either lies in the org or your own expectations. If you don't believe in your surroundings, make a change.

FWIW, our dues are monthly $200 (roster of 17). That pays for unlimited strength and conditioning, weekend practices and field time, and friendly / tournament fees. The manager does not provide a schedule. Our uniforms and gear are purchased individually from an online store. We have 2 football fundraisers and host a tournament. All money goes to the manager. Our team has never asked for additional money at the end of the season due to a tight budget.

Jul 31, 2019
We are a private organization of 11 teams, and I made the decision to be transparent with team spending several years ago. The decision not only remove some mistrust, but it also helped fit off competitors that were hard selling against us

Jul 1, 2019
Also to make certain that when they are buying uniforms, bags, helmets etc. that it adds up. most teams we have been have budgeted more than these actually cost (estimates not taking into account volume discounts, etc.), so final payment got reduced or eliminated. but, if everything is not transparent, this difference could easily wind up in someones pocket.

btw, making the personal accounts visible to only a small subset (ie that family) and having team balance sheet available to everyone is pretty simple actually.

I understand what you're saying here, but how far do you actually take this. Estimated uniform cost was $400/player, after discount due to bulk purchase it came out to $375 each for 12 girls. What about an extra two sets for a sub the team might need in two different sizes, who's paying for that? Are we asking for the receipt to show what was actually spent on the uniform purchase to verify that what was entered on our spreadsheet is accurate compared to the receipt? Estimated that the team needed $500 worth of softballs but the price went up $.25 each this year. Are you okay with them asking for an additional $10 from each girl because that cost wasn't exactly what they expected? Are you expecting a refund on the $10 because the price went down $.25 to ensure it didn't end up in someone's pocket? I'm gonna need to see a receipt for that coach.

Realistically, I'm on the mindset that I agreed to pay X in expectation of Y for my DD. So long as that happens (approximate # of tourney's agreed to, uniforms to play in, and practice facilities that were agreed upon) I'm good. If I don't trust the org we're playing for with a little extra $$ that could balance either way, I shouldn't be here or I should be their treasurer (which I will refuse to sign up for). I'm not rich by all means, most of us aren't. And we know this is a very expensive venture over the long run. I can't imagine being worried about $50 possibly being left in my account and where is has or hasn't gone.

BMAKJ, please know that none of my response was directed at you personally, I just quoted your post because it was convenient to use the example of uniform costs.

Feb 18, 2014
I'm firmly in the camp that you have to believe completely in the team and the organization your DD plays for. There was a pretty steep learning curve for me before I said "F@#% IT", I've got to let all of the extraneous stuff go. If you don't the problem either lies in the org or your own expectations. If you don't believe in your surroundings, make a change.

FWIW, our dues are monthly $200 (roster of 17). That pays for unlimited strength and conditioning, weekend practices and field time, and friendly / tournament fees. The manager does not provide a schedule. Our uniforms and gear are purchased individually from an online store. We have 2 football fundraisers and host a tournament. All money goes to the manager. Our team has never asked for additional money at the end of the season due to a tight budget.

$200 a month or $2400 a year
$2400 a year x 17 girls = $40,800 a year
Plus 2 fundraisers and a tournament

I would love to see what your actually team expenses are, I bet you below 50% overhead.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Why do parents feel they deserve to see an itemized spreadsheet of all the costs to run the team or organization?

Last year my daughter played for a large organization. At no point in the season did the team's finances ever cross my mind. At the beginning of the season, we were told how the cost, and what we would get for the cost. Parents agreed to the cost. End of story.

IMO, it would be ignorant to ask to see a team's finances that you have nothing to do with.
Not a good way to be thinking.......seen a guy that had multiple teams, suddenly quit and opens business, and left everyone hanging....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom