Hand loads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I hear this mentioned frequently, but when you think about it, this is backwards. Plus it 'corrects' the wrong problems.

Kids get switched to no stride, or 'smaller actions', generally because they start their stride too late. So, instead of fixing the real problem, they compund it with another problem.

With the 'smaller action', the kid now has no timing mechanism to know when to begin their swing.

This is why the funnel is so harsh, for kids with fatal flaws like this. Every kid should be pushing toward a MLB swing, not away from it.
With bigger actions you have to start everything pre-stride earlier that is what I meant. However I do agree that having some movement pre-stride can aid with timing once a hitter is comfortable with how their own body moves.

Hand pumps, leg kicks, etc are just style things.. and that includes no stride. I don't think instructors should teach style. Work with whatever style a kid is comfortable with.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Apr 12, 2016
Post an image of the swing when the hands are first loaded. Describe the feel of the hands being loaded.

May 21, 2014

We have tried the floating front foot like that and at 13, my child could not find the balance to do it repeatedly without some other part of the swing becoming weaker. I think we will get back to it as she gets older but have added a toe tap where the brief hesitation is and find it easier to reproduce under game situations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood