Half bats/flat bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010

Have been seeing the half bats and drills all over the hitting twitters. Looks like a lot of college sb teams are using them. I like the idea of this and would like to hear some thoughts from DFP’ers.

May 12, 2016
The pros are doing this as well, they say promotes good hand/barrel path and helps prevent pulling off the ball. Makes sense to me.

Dec 11, 2010
The pros are doing this as well, they say promotes good hand/barrel path and helps prevent pulling off the ball. Makes sense to me.

Good video! I like using short bats too.

These are the ones in the tweets I posted- they are more like a paddle

May 12, 2016
Good video! I like using short bats too.

These are the ones in the tweets I posted- they are more like a paddle

Yep, when my DD was playing I bought an old wooden bat of Craigslist and shaved corresponding sides of the bat down so it looked like a paddle. We hit with it and which helped prevent her from rolling over

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Have been seeing the half bats and drills all over the hitting twitters. Looks like a lot of college sb teams are using them. I like the idea of this and would like to hear some thoughts from DFP’ers.

A little off topic, but these girls hitting while hugging a exercise ball is very interesting. I think it would be a great way to teach a beginner how the swing works. Thoughts??

Tennis balls probably a good idea when using flat bat. Going to get one and try it.

Aug 20, 2017
A little off topic, but these girls hitting while hugging a exercise ball is very interesting. I think it would be a great way to teach a beginner how the swing works. Thoughts??

Tennis balls probably a good idea when using flat bat. Going to get one and try it.
Definitely looks to teach tilt in the shoulders and good bat path. Right shoulder working under, core working under. I like it

Dec 11, 2010
Maybe!

All I can say is I liked it. Then I looked up the stats for that team and I must say I was less hell bent to duplicate the drill. I know that’s unfair but its what happened for me, lol

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California

Tennis balls are fine, as are wiffles and the smush ball types.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478