Half Bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

I have my own version of this that I use to teach ball/bathead trajectory. But I use an Axe bat/handle which requires a consistent grip - bat head alignment. I also shortened the bat because I use wiffle balls and I want the sweet spot to be similar to what a normal size bat would have.

Dec 11, 2010
The other is a “half bat” from Trey Hannam. Its not a short bat, its a wood bat that has the barrel planed flat on two sides. We hit front toss Jugs foam balls in the cage with it. You can also hit wiffles with it but she likes the feel of the foam balls better. This is an under load deal. I believe it increased her bat speed and helped bat path.
This is what I thought about in July 2020. At some point we were using it on a field and she would put on a clinic blasting baseball foamies over the fence, lol.

I like the half bat. I don’t see how it could be used wrong as long as the foamies or tennis balls are not being lobbed like a rainbow. A half bat would be a good station with soft hole balls for practice or warm ups.

Trey Hannem runs www.Halfbat.com and you can look at his twitter, he has a couple vids on there about their use.

Dec 11, 2010

Here is another post from April of that year.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The only issue I see with it is that a player might adjust their grip to match their swing path. If a player is rolling over early and hitting grounders with it she could just adjust her grip to have the flat side of the bat add a little more loft.

Jul 27, 2021
Soooo...should we be using....

RopeBat
HalfBat
CamWood Bat
Sequence Training Bat
SwingRail
Zip-N-Hit
Blitzball Bats
Wiffle Ball Bat
Sand/Dead Ball

Oct 26, 2019
I like the concept of the half bat and worst case scenario it could be used as an under load bat

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Well, since I asked a question similar to this a few years ago.
I found the camwood and halfbat the most helpful. Both work with very little outside instruction from anyone.

Dec 11, 2010
The only issue I see with it is that a player might adjust their grip to match their swing path. If a player is rolling over early and hitting grounders with it she could just adjust her grip to have the flat side of the bat add a little more loft.
I think I know what you are saying- I think what would happen in that case is it would spin off and it should show in the ball flight.

Dec 11, 2010
Soooo...should we be using....

RopeBat
HalfBat
CamWood Bat
Sequence Training Bat
SwingRail
Zip-N-Hit
Blitzball Bats
Wiffle Ball Bat
Sand/Dead Ball
RopeBat. Nah.
HalfBat. Yes.
CamWood Bat. Maybe
Sequence Training Bat. Kinda weird looking.
SwingRail. Pass.
Zip-N-Hit. Very funny. NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Blitzball Bats. That looks fun. Yes.
Wiffle Ball Bat. Bent yellow plastic, No!
Sand/Dead Ball. Only the Driveline ones. The rainbow of colors cheers me up.

You forgot Whip Hit (whip it good)
7 diff short bats
Swing Mechanic
Pro Hammer
And a partridge in a pear tree, lol!

Jan 28, 2017
Years ago before half bats. I would get an old woold baseball bat and cut the barrel in half and then wrap in with athletic tape. Was a good tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802