Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
time to work on the barrel being too steep. We figure her timing will improve as she gets more at bats but its time to address the big barrel arc and the steepness.

Attachments

• F4C57DE7-B627-4F0D-B9A5-41697B809CE4.png
    F4C57DE7-B627-4F0D-B9A5-41697B809CE4.png
    742 KB · Views: 19
May 12, 2016
time to work on the barrel being too steep. We figure her timing will improve as she gets more at bats but its time to address the big barrel arc and the steepness.
Another by product of front toss and lack of live pitching IMO. D1 pitcher throwing low 60’s.. those pitches would be a lot flatter when compared to front toss.. with exception to a good change up which is one she hit well.

Aug 20, 2017
Mike, what trigger do y’all use for the when to load? If you start too early the brain knows it and the body feels it so you end of slowing down and being late. Ken has a good tip in one of his threads that makes a lot of sense for timing. He calls it “bounce and go”. Everyone on here says slow and early to allow time to get slack out of swing. Got to watch being too early. I teach girls that when the ball hits the top of the arm circle, we bounce and go. Don’t time it on pitchers movement ie when the pitcher moves you move. They’ll get stuck or slow down knowing they are too early. In front toss, I tell them to bounce and go when I pull the all the way back, not when I move the ball back initially.

May 16, 2019
She usually will start when the pitcher has the ball over her head. If it's a very slow pitcher , she will start at release.

I'll look for Ken's post.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
@Mike-Coach Q She has a unique starting position with her feet. Is that a teaching point for you or is that her personal style and comfort? No judgement just curious to hear your thoughts.

May 16, 2019
She was originally a no stride and had some trouble timing the better pitchers. We've been working on a stride starting with a narrower stance and this felt good to her. Over time she staggered it and found it easier to preset her coil.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Gotcha - thanks for the response. I prefer a stride, but have seen several have success without for sure. She starts narrow, but doesn’t appear to over stride so if it’s comfortable for her - rock on!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2