Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hope any of what I was saying made sense :). I get what you are saying.. by getting under she wasn't clipping the underside the ball(that's what I had in my mind).. she was squaring it up and intersecting way out front during the steeply upward portion of the swing. Oppo makes sense to me as part of the solution. Glad things have worked out for her.

Yes, after reading it a couple of times it made sense. And then I wondered why I didn't understand it the first time I read it... Anyway, hitting out front was part of her long term habits. So even when we started adjusting her barrel path, she still focused on hitting out front. It was something I missed until I started watching the video. As soon as I figured it out, I showed her and her dad (He was a D1 catcher before he messed up his ankle...) It became obvious to all 3 of us. Then it was just a matter of figuring out what adjustments to make. I would like to think my help was part of the solution, but honestly she is an amazing athlete with ridiculous work ethic. I'm quite sure she would have been successful with or without my help.

Aug 20, 2017
We are working on smoothing out her bat angle. Here is our attempt at increasing her awareness and ability to control the bat and let the ball travel in to her hitting zone. Too may years of being taught to extend to the ball, not by me.

JMO but be careful isolating hands. Sometimes that will make girls jump the sequence a little bit. To do this same drill, I’d get her in a post stride position with so torso rotation, back knee pinched forward, and with a loaded scap. Or have her go through her normal load stride mechanism and do the same bat path mechanic you are working on.

Jun 8, 2016
Glad to know all those hours of playing pepper growing up were good for something :)

In all seriousness, you guys have put in some really good work. While I don't think this drill will undo anything you have done (like I said it just reminds me of pepper..), personally I would see where she is in her game swing before I started to incorporate stuff to fix something which may not be an issue at game speed. Nothing like a game to see what her real mechanics are...

Tell her to keep up with the hard work!!

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
We disagree....... it's not hard work when u love it. TY and I will tell her. We workout on hitting & pitching 3 days a week 2 hours. Then she has a team mate 2 days a week she works with. This kid is non stop.

I'd love to see a game swing soon.

May 16, 2019
She wants to play in college. We put a plan together and she just working that plan

Haley tends to be early and way out front. Hopping this drill will help her to let the ball travel. We did change the way she prepares and times the pitch.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Besides driving the ball 250+ , I want my kids to hit in a big zone. That takes lots of discipline and launching the barrel from the same point is one of the goals. I feel the drill of building up to low line drives or pepper as Pattar called it is helpful in regards to the low and high pitch.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Here is a high pitch followed by a low pitch. Not by design lol. Getting the body to do a specific pattern when your eyes tell you something different takes practice.

Attachments

• C5E69E58-AD10-461E-BADF-F94C29BE7A88.png
    C5E69E58-AD10-461E-BADF-F94C29BE7A88.png
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E59089DC-B7AD-4FD9-B5D4-2CDC9DDE4AD4.png
    E59089DC-B7AD-4FD9-B5D4-2CDC9DDE4AD4.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members