Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
It's hard to tell if she just has a lot of vertical bat angle or if her path is really that much up through the ball. Or both. Her follow through is very steep I agree. But it's dangerous to speculate. She might be very good through the zone with just a lot of bat angle and that's her follow through.

Might be worth it to look at stills (*gasp*) or maybe get some bat sensor data going.

She may very well be great through the zone.

Nice work by player and coach.
Hey, this is no longer an issue.. take a look at FP26's post before mine. I was just trying to figure out logically how the issue was resolved based on the previous problem description.

We are not talking about Haley's swing here...

Feb 25, 2020
Hey, this is no longer an issue.. take a look at FP26's post before mine. I was just trying to figure out logically how the issue was resolved based on the previous problem description.

We are not talking about Haley's swing here...

I'm just saying you don't really know if it was an issue. For sure. Or if it's been resolved. For sure.

"It looks better" is great though.

May 12, 2016
I'm just saying you don't really know if it was an issue. For sure. Or if it's been resolved. For sure.

"It looks better" is great though.
I don't think we are talking about the same hitter, lol

"Freak athlete.... Had a D1 offer but turned it down because the school she plays for offered her the chance to play softball and field hockey. The D1 wanted her to give up FH. Great kid too... "

I'm pretty sure it's resolved.. lol, plus FP26 said it was resolved... I'm pretty sure FP26 knows what he's talking about

Feb 25, 2020
I don't think we are talking about the same hitter, lol

"Freak athlete.... Had a D1 offer but turned it down because the school she plays for offered her the chance to play softball and field hockey. The D1 wanted her to give up FH. Great kid too... "

I'm pretty sure it's resolved.. lol, plus FP26 said it was resolved... I'm pretty sure FP26 knows what he's talking about

Hmm I think your right. Haha sorry. I think I quoted you in regards to the previous posts about her looking steep. My bad.

Regardless. Nice work player and coach.

May 16, 2019
So my goal with this post going forward
1. Share Haley’s journey with the understanding her videos are works in progress and not the finished product......
2. Share my development as her coach. Im still learning but having the time of my life. 25 years ago I could have used this info with my daughter when she was in high school and playing in college.
3. discussions with those that want to participate in our journey/ discovery are welcomed, your observations and awareness helps all of us learn and grow. I love others sharing their experiences.
4. I’m teaching to the best of my ability and understanding TM method but he’s not endorsing what I’m doing. Please stay off your soapbox and agenda.. sharing is welcomed but highjacking is not .
5. I’m doing this for the Moms , Dads & their daughters that need a little help and support. I have no hidden agenda or ax to grind but love softball and the wonderful friends and relationships I’ve made along the way.
6. Hopefully through my pitfalls other can learn and avoid the many dead ends I’ve taken.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey FP, logically it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I agree with everything your saying, the barrel starts down.. bottoms out further back, starts coming back up the more out front it gets... So she shouldn't of been getting under the ball.. if anything she would of topped it? It was your experience .. so I'm not disagreeing, just logically trying to piece it together. I am thinking if she started making contact deeper with the same barrel path she would of been way under the ball? If I'm getting under the ball out front, then deeper in my swing I would be even further under... unless we are talking about slo-pitch, or slow front toss. :)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this... Her focus as a developing hitter was to hit the ball out front. She was an an extreme "knob to the ball" hitter. As we started to adjust her barrel path, she still tried to make contact out front. To the point that the path was no longer slightly up, but starting to become more steeply up. Her "long through" part would have actually been under the ball. She was squaring it up slightly beyond that point. We spent a lot of time focusing on a deeper contact point (during the "long through" part). We worked a lot on hitting the ball to the opposite field. I don't know if that is what helped her, or if just having a better understanding of what she was doing. Maybe a combination of both... In any event, we work together to this day and we use oppo work as a "master reset".

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
We are working on smoothing out her bat angle. Here is our attempt at increasing her awareness and ability to control the bat and let the ball travel in to her hitting zone. Too may years of being taught to extend to the ball, not by me.

That's my interpretation as well.. no posture.. mostly hands drive the ball down.. you can see in the first couple of swings she was letting the ball get deeper.. on the last two she topped the ball.. too far out front IMO. Nice to see someone live doing the Bonds drill.. cleaning up the path a little. Thanks for posting!

May 12, 2016
I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this... Her focus as a developing hitter was to hit the ball out front. She was an an extreme "knob to the ball" hitter. As we started to adjust her barrel path, she still tried to make contact out front. To the point that the path was no longer slightly up, but starting to become more steeply up. Her "long through" part would have actually been under the ball. She was squaring it up slightly beyond that point. We spent a lot of time focusing on a deeper contact point (during the "long through" part). We worked a lot on hitting the ball to the opposite field. I don't know if that is what helped her, or if just having a better understanding of what she was doing. Maybe a combination of both... In any event, we work together to this day and we use oppo work as a "master reset".
I hope any of what I was saying made sense :). I get what you are saying.. by getting under she wasn't clipping the underside the ball(that's what I had in my mind).. she was squaring it up and intersecting way out front during the steeply upward portion of the swing. Oppo makes sense to me as part of the solution. Glad things have worked out for her.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom