Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
OK. I was going comment on post #326 the Bonds drill demo but didn't. But I think there are two ways to execute that drill. And since we've never seen Bonds or Yellich actually do the drill, only talk about it....

In the demo, the guy proposes (since he doesn't actually execute it with a live pitch) striking downward as if with a sledgehammer:

View attachment 18629

Haley does it -- and successfully executes hitting the plate and then moving the ball out further and further -- with more of a TTB/behind-and-through approach, IMO:

View attachment 18630

I like and have advocated the latter approach. I know others, given their swing approaches, will like the first method. They aren't the same. Both do give a feel for how to manage and manipulate the barrel with the hands. Are they both useful?
Not a fan of the latter approach and IMO I don’t think this is what BB or Yelich was doing. The reason I say this is because in every interview we’ve seen with BB and Yelich say/demo the exact opposite of the latter approach. Yelich talks about cleaning up his path.. what he talks about in earlier and later interviews is direct down to the ball, taking the loop out of his swing.. using TTB method in the BB drill contradicts everything he has been saying... doesn’t make any sense. Again just my opinion.. I haven’t seen Yelich perform the drill, just what I can derive from when he talks about hitting.

Sep 17, 2009
Not a fan of the latter approach and IMO I don’t think this is what BB or Yelich was doing. The reason I say this is because in every interview we’ve seen with BB and Yelich say/demo the exact opposite of the latter approach. Yelich talks about cleaning up his path.. what he talks about in earlier and later interviews is direct down to the ball, taking the loop out of his swing.. using TTB method in the BB drill contradicts everything he has been saying... doesn’t make any sense. Again just my opinion.. I haven’t seen Yelich perform the drill, just what I can derive from when he talks about hitting.
Yep. Figured :)

I think there's a middle ground maybe. I'd like to see the guy in the demo -- or anybody -- hit a live pitch with that extreme hammer down motion. Overall, would like to see more demos than discussions of the drill ;)

May 12, 2016
As I read the Yelich story, I pictured Bonds doing this right here

I have NO idea. Just what I pictured.

100 % agree with you... BB has talked about this on many occasions, I think it’s safe assumption to make that this is the motion is is referring to when beating balls into the plate

May 16, 2019
Getting the drill exactly (Bond's way) right is not as important to me as the outcome result of doing the drill when she transitions to hitting live. Should I have said, we are chopping the ball on the plate as a way of controlling the barrel and snap leaving B.B. name out of it? I've never seen Barry do the drill and I said in the beginning this was our interpretation of the drill.

By having to bounce the ball on the plate, you have to let the ball travel over the plate. To hit it that deep she has to be sudden and accurate in her move.

She starts by chopping down with her weight balanced and transitions moving her weight over the rear leg and tilting while still trying to chop down hitting low line drives. There becomes a point where she is TTB in a tight arc like a hair pin turn and not a big sweeping turn.

Thanks for the comments and observations. Julray sorry the video didn't load for you

May 12, 2016
I can see it now.. she's really starting to get the hang of it. Later in the vid you tossed her a high one and she was still able to stay on top of it, Nice!

May 16, 2019
I can see it now.. she's really starting to get the hang of it. Later in the vid you tossed her a high one and she was still able to stay on top of it, Nice!

We have been focusing on hands above the ball and barrel above the hands for as long as possible. We have a ways to go but she's getting better at it. Thanks 😊

I know this might go against the 100% TTB but I'm willing to see where this takes her and her development.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom