Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Eric, Buttermaker, and me have been texting over the last few weeks, sharing ideas about hitting. I asked, how can Something as important as the core and obliques not be part of the swing? Buttermaker blows my mind with a wealth of knowledge and demonstrates how the obliques can power the swing. It don’t take me long to realize I’m in the deep end of the pool. Through this back and forth I realize, because of my obsession to have players drive the ball I’ve been missing the most important component to teaching hitting.

Buttermaker and I came to the same conclusion that the core and obliques are used in the swing but for different reasons and time in the swing. I Respect what he says and see real value in his knowledge.

I said all that to say that Haley has started using the adjustments to her swing about two weeks now and has showed big improvement in a positive direction.

May 12, 2016
I like what Donaldson has to say about path. He says he wants to get on plane early and stay on plane as long as possible. He also says that most damage is done out front.. this is when the bat takes a slight upturn.. but he doesn't like focus on hitting the ball out front because it leaves him vulnerable to off speed pitches. So when I see a kid hitting off a tee or during soft toss with a steep upward path I am curious how that translates in a game. I've heard some people say to and up through .. but that to me means perfect timing. That's why I like what Donaldson says, on path as long as possible. Sorry Mike I am dominating your thread. I just wanted to explain why I was asking these questions. Thank you

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Love that sound :). Mike how does this position(barrel) translate to harder pitching in a game. Does Haley find herself being under the ball against harder pitching.. or is a natural adjustment for her? I'm not criticizing the swing.. I am just asking out of curiosity because I know when a good pitcher is on the mound it will be a much flatter trajectory than what your soft toss is emulating... for most pitches anyway.

View attachment 17992

I like to think of the bat as an extension of the front arm. I believe it was Barry Bonds that I first heard say that...

May 16, 2019
I like what Donaldson has to say about path. He says he wants to get on plane early and stay on plane as long as possible. He also says that most damage is done out front.. this is when the bat takes a slight upturn.. but he doesn't like focus on hitting the ball out front because it leaves him vulnerable to off speed pitches. So when I see a kid hitting off a tee or during soft toss with a steep upward path I am curious how that translates in a game. I've heard some people say to and up through .. but that to me means perfect timing. That's why I like what Donaldson says, on path as long as possible. Sorry Mike I am dominating your thread. I just wanted to explain why I was asking these questions. Thank you

like Spiicoli told Mr. Hand if I’m here and your here isn’t it our time?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

like Spiicoli told Mr. Hand if I’m here and your here isn’t it our time?

Barrel path goes from down, to slightly up, to more steeply up. I had a hitter that was making solid contact but getting under the ball too much. With the help of video I was able to show her that her "short to" and "long through" were both fine. She was just catching the ball too far out front after the barrel started climbing. We focused on making contact a little deeper and she raked.

Freak athlete.... Had a D1 offer but turned it down because the school she plays for offered her the chance to play softball and field hockey. The D1 wanted her to give up FH. Great kid too...

May 16, 2019
FP 26 awesome story. I've seen Haley make some great strides forward and we continue to work on making solid contact at 6:00 . Appreciate the encouraging words.

As a coach it's a blessing to have players that want it and willing to work for it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Eric, Buttermaker, and me have been texting over the last few weeks, sharing ideas about hitting. I asked, how can Something as important as the core and obliques not be part of the swing? Buttermaker blows my mind with a wealth of knowledge and demonstrates how the obliques can power the swing. It don’t take me long to realize I’m in the deep end of the pool. Through this back and forth I realize, because of my obsession to have players drive the ball I’ve been missing the most important component to teaching hitting.

Buttermaker and I came to the same conclusion that the core and obliques are used in the swing but for different reasons and time in the swing. I Respect what he says and see real value in his knowledge.

I said all that to say that Haley has started using the adjustments to her swing about two weeks now and has showed big improvement in a positive direction.
Has there been a sea change? Is the back leg the driver? "been missing the most important component" sounds pretty serious to me. Could you elaborate?

May 12, 2016
Barrel path goes from down, to slightly up, to more steeply up. I had a hitter that was making solid contact but getting under the ball too much. With the help of video I was able to show her that her "short to" and "long through" were both fine. She was just catching the ball too far out front after the barrel started climbing. We focused on making contact a little deeper and she raked.

Freak athlete.... Had a D1 offer but turned it down because the school she plays for offered her the chance to play softball and field hockey. The D1 wanted her to give up FH. Great kid too...
Hey FP, logically it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I agree with everything your saying, the barrel starts down.. bottoms out further back, starts coming back up the more out front it gets... So she shouldn't of been getting under the ball.. if anything she would of topped it? It was your experience .. so I'm not disagreeing, just logically trying to piece it together. I am thinking if she started making contact deeper with the same barrel path she would of been way under the ball? If I'm getting under the ball out front, then deeper in my swing I would be even further under... unless we are talking about slo-pitch, or slow front toss. :)

Feb 25, 2020
Hey FP, logically it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I agree with everything your saying, the barrel starts down.. bottoms out further back, starts coming back up the more out front it gets... So she shouldn't of been getting under the ball.. if anything she would of topped it? It was your experience .. so I'm not disagreeing, just logically trying to piece it together. I am thinking if she started making contact deeper with the same barrel path she would of been way under the ball? If I'm getting under the ball out front, then deeper in my swing I would be even further under... unless we are talking about slo-pitch, or slow front toss. :)

It's hard to tell if she just has a lot of vertical bat angle or if her path is really that much up through the ball. Or both. Her follow through is very steep I agree. But it's dangerous to speculate. She might be very good through the zone with just a lot of bat angle and that's her follow through.

Might be worth it to look at stills (*gasp*) or maybe get some bat sensor data going.

She may very well be great through the zone.

Nice work by player and coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45