Ha, scratch that itch indulgence...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I've heard for a long time how there were a couple of bats that were unbelievably hot back in the day.. Just received this 2008 gem still in the wrapper! I'm sure we'll go out and give it a try this weekend. It will be a big step up in weight, 33/23 to 33/25 and it feels like it

1590178817206.png

Attachments

• 1590178774906.png
    1590178774906.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 21
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Never used, seen, or even held one before, but I've been told by some guys I really trust that they're thunder sticks!! Of course depending on what you paid for it, my only worry would be old technology vs. new? Hope it's awesome!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Yep, we'll see how it is, I was wanting to get a -8 for DD anyway and the pricing on this one is basically the same as a new bat. I've got my fingers crossed.. If it's a dud, I'll probably get rid of it and take a hit on the price, live and learn!

I will try to get some comparisons between new FNX at -10 to old Phenix at -8.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Huh, you might want to make sure it is a legal bat for whatever ABC group you are playing. Just sayin.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yep, we'll see how it is, I was wanting to get a -8 for DD anyway and the pricing on this one is basically the same as a new bat. I've got my fingers crossed.. If it's a dud, I'll probably get rid of it and take a hit on the price, live and learn!

I will try to get some comparisons between new FNX at -10 to old Phenix at -8.
If you only paid $350 or so for it, you did really well! They usually go around the $6-700 range from what I've seen.

Dec 11, 2010
It might take awhile to get good. Don’t know much about the older DeMars but make sure she knows it won’t start like it will be in a month or so.

Sep 19, 2018
Never used, seen, or even held one before, but I've been told by some guys I really trust that they're thunder sticks!! Of course depending on what you paid for it, my only worry would be old technology vs. new? Hope it's awesome!
I never used this model, but I believe the bats back then, when broken in, were WAY hotter than they are today. I don't know about the size of the sweet spot, but the original Composites were dangerous.

The original Miken Ultra was banned in the middle of its first season. They released the Ultra II which lasted 1 full year (spring and summer) before it was banned for being too hot. Then the Freak came out, that might have lasted 2 seasons before it was banned.

By 2012 (or so) testing procedures had to be adjusted and a new stamp many bats of the time illegal. I still have my original Freak to hit fly balls.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I still have my original Freak to hit fly balls.
The Miken Freak was my first taste into composites wayyy back in the day. After using a 34/34 aluminum Easton in SP for years. We were playing in a tournament out of state, I was lead off standing on deck to start the game, one of the guys tore the wrapper off of a brand new 28oz Freak and said here, use this! My world was changed right then and there with one swing!

Not 100% sure of the time frame but that brand new bat was banned either two or three weeks later?

Sep 19, 2018
My whole team were Demarini users. Everyone had the double wall. I got my Miken in the summer. No one was interested in using it. The first Sunday of the fall season, my first at bat the pitcher got me out in-front with a change, and a I hit a rocket HR. I hit 3 on the day. The next Sunday, my bat was the only bat used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802