Guest Experiences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Story time:

What is your worst experience with guesting?

Either A) having DD guest or B) as a coach who brought in a guest.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Years ago DD was asked to guest for an elite team in our area. She was guaranteed playing time, the coach told us, since she would be the 10th and he doesn't sit players. Turns out she actually made the 11th player and sat Friday night and all day Saturday. She didn't go back Sunday. Other than that, she's been pretty lucky subbing. Everybody who asked her knew her as a player and gave her at least a little game time.

Jun 1, 2015
As a (summer) rec coach, I've had a handful of times (usually once per season) where I've been short on girls and needed to pick up 1-2 girls for a weeknight game. I would present this to the team the week beforehand so everyone was aware, explain the situation, be 100% transparent about playing time/needs, etc. The guest players are always local girls I've known through our local LL program (and/or I know the parents - I wouldn't ask anyone randomly).

For the most part, the girls were on-board with things: They got it was "bring on someone to play or forfeit games". For the parents, you would've thought I was dropping the atomic bomb the way they reacted, forfeitures or not. Even if I made sure everyone (especially the guest player)'s playing time and position(s) were announced well in advance so that things could be as balanced and equitable as possible, the parents would act like I was "sabotaging my team" (actual quote) because THEIR kid sat on defense for one inning to let the guest player have one inning in right field. It was ridiculous. Granted, the absent girls told me of their unavailability WELL in advance, so that I had time to prepare, it became such a nightmare scenario that I swore off ever having guest players again.

Now, when I operate my rec team, I tell my players, "Either show up or we forfeit, simple as that." When they sign their codes of conduct/participation for me, I make it beyond crystal clear this is a commitment and you honor that commitment. Especially since this is a very small-town area where word travels faster than the breeze.

Aug 3, 2019
As a (summer) rec coach, I've had a handful of times (usually once per season) where I've been short on girls and needed to pick up 1-2 girls for a weeknight game. I would present this to the team the week beforehand so everyone was aware, explain the situation, be 100% transparent about playing time/needs, etc. The guest players are always local girls I've known through our local LL program (and/or I know the parents - I wouldn't ask anyone randomly).

For the most part, the girls were on-board with things: They got it was "bring on someone to play or forfeit games". For the parents, you would've thought I was dropping the atomic bomb the way they reacted, forfeitures or not. Even if I made sure everyone (especially the guest player)'s playing time and position(s) were announced well in advance so that things could be as balanced and equitable as possible, the parents would act like I was "sabotaging my team" (actual quote) because THEIR kid sat on defense for one inning to let the guest player have one inning in right field. It was ridiculous. Granted, the absent girls told me of their unavailability WELL in advance, so that I had time to prepare, it became such a nightmare scenario that I swore off ever having guest players again.

Now, when I operate my rec team, I tell my players, "Either show up or we forfeit, simple as that." When they sign their codes of conduct/participation for me, I make it beyond crystal clear this is a commitment and you honor that commitment. Especially since this is a very small-town area where word travels faster than the breeze.
Interesting parent reaction!

Jun 1, 2015
A ridiculous reaction being perfectly honest. Mind you, had I not reached out to have 1 person play for us for 1 game, it would've been a forfeit (and I GUARANTEE you same parents would've b*tched about their kids not playing because of the forfeit). In reality, it's these parents' attitudes that were doing it for themselves. In fairness, it's not all parents. Just the hyper-competitive ones (also, typically, the ones whose kids usually play the same position or are 'territorial' over their position, so if they get subbed for or are rotated around, the kids start acting up, the parents start chirping, etc.)

Sadly, around here, parents are VERY prideful. Many varsity and JV coaches tend not to last more than 2-3 years at a time because they hate dealing with the parents: The parents complain about their kids' and batting/positioning, jump the coach to the AD (and the AD bites because they fear the BOE or whatever), and the coaches bail because they feel like they have no control over how to run their teams, and personally, I don't blame them. It's a gigantic mess.

13 of the 15 girls I had last year attend a school whose modified and varsity softball teams one a combined ONE (1) game in the 2021 season. Parent attitudes like this, when passed down to the kids, are a significant influence on that for sure.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was a parent not a coach. We were playing 2 games at 2 different locations trying to catch up on some rain outs.

Coach thought we were going to be short of players 1st game, honest misunderstanding. 2nd location we were going to have enough players. HC's DD was not effected with this long story because she played every inning of both games.

I am not sure I have every seen a not so good guest player, they are usually pretty good.

1st location HC's DD started and got pounded. Brought in guest player to pitch and did not do much better. They brought DD in to pitch when the game appeared out of reach. We started catching up quick. Opposing coach said that they knew we need to go somewhere else so let's just end this game so you can get there. We said we were good and had time for another inning. We lost by a run, after being down by a bunch. DD was best P on field.

2nd location I was surprised to see guest player show up. HC knew we did not need her there before the day started. Sure enough HC's DD started, followed by quest P again, no DD pitching that game and did not go well. We also had more pitchers besides mine who were locked out.

DD just proved for at least that day she was our P. DD played minimum each game. HC's DD and guest player played every inning. I was not happy.

24 hour rule, talked to HC briefly the next day or 2 at practice. His anwser just proved they were an idiot.

Guest player did have one of my favorite lines. Their Team had played the 2nd Team before and she was playing CF. No fence. She yells out to our LF ...

"Move back this chick can hit" she could. :)

DD has only quest played a few times and it was a good experience. She did knock some players out of thier positions occasionally but it seemed fair to me. No one got out of shape and it was never agrejust. She spent her time on the bench too.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
I was a parent not a coach. We were playing 2 games at 2 different locations trying to catch up on some rain outs.

Coach thought we were going to be short of players 1st game, honest misunderstanding. 2nd location we were going to have enough players. HC's DD was not effected with this long story because she played every inning of both games.

I am not sure I have every seen a not so good guest player, they are usually pretty good.

1st location HC's DD started and got pounded. Brought in guest player to pitch and did not do much better. They brought DD in to pitch when the game appeared out of reach. We started catching up quick. Opposing coach said that they knew we need to go somewhere else so let's just end this game so you can get there. We said we were good and had time for another inning. We lost by a run, after being down by a bunch. DD was best P on field.

2nd location I was surprised to see guest player show up. HC knew we did not need her there before the day started. Sure enough HC's DD started, followed by quest P again, no DD pitching that game and did not go well. We also had more pitchers besides mine who were locked out.

DD just proved for at least that day she was our P. DD played minimum each game. HC's DD and guest player played every inning. I was not happy.

24 hour rule, talked to HC briefly the next day or 2 at practice. His anwser just proved they were an idiot.

Guest player did have one of my favorite lines. Their Team had played the 2nd Team before and she was playing CF. No fence. She yells out to our LF ...

"Move back this chick can hit" she could. :)

DD has only quest played a few times and it was a good experience. She did knock some players out of thier positions occasionally but it seemed fair to me. No one got out of shape and it was never agrejust. She spent her time on the bench too.
Just out of curiosity—-What was the answer he gave?

Oct 10, 2018
We had a coach bring in 2 girls to guest and she sat them both on Sat and Sun since 9 showed up. I think she may have put one in the batting order but not both. It was so embarrassing, we parents were making nice with their parents, and when we realized what what was happening, apologized profusely. Another good reason we had DD leave that team that I totally forgot about until now, that coach was nuts.

Jul 31, 2015
At 10U my DD guested on a 12U rec all star team that was playing in a mixed rec/TB tourney.

She was pitching lights out against a local TB club, rileing up their coaches. Lots of yelling at players, attempted bunts, etc.
All was well until their assistant coach realized that my DD was not listed on the roster. HC had forgot to put her on.
Game was stopped and she had to leave the field in the middle of an at bat.
Other team cheered as she left, and then went on win in a blowout.

Served that rec coach right.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#3 was a pretty decent softball player at 12YOA. Her future HS coach was coaching an 18U team, and begged me to let her play in an 18U tourney because she was short players. I agreed only as a favor.

We drive 2 hours to the tournament the next day, we show up and, surprise!, she has 10 kids on the bench. My DD played 2 innings out of 3 games, with one at-bat.

I was furious. Never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802