Guess we're taking a "break" from softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2016
Fractured scaphoid bone in DDs wrist on Saturday at practice (glove hand). Urgent Care doc said just a sprain after x-rays on Saturday afternoon then got a call back on Monday saying Radiologist ordered CT Scan. CT scan revealed the fracture and after 2 hours with orthopedist today we left with this. Ortho says 6 weeks in full arm cast, then 4-6 more weeks in 1/2 arm cast, then rehab. All happened doing a simple pop fly drill in the blink of an eye. Needless to say we are all pretty bummed!!! Apparently this scaphoid bone is pretty important and doesn't heal easily. Anybody else have experience with this type of injury? Words of encouragement? She hasn't been out of softball more than a month in the past 4 yrs so we are still in shock.
886c9bf3503b9a5f885f080e24a7c94f.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Oh, no, poor girl. Don't have any experience with that, but DD broke her left middle finger last winter and was in a cast to her elbow for 6 weeks. Had to sit out of softball and basketball. Poor thing was miserable. Plus she's a lefty, so writing was a bear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Booooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! :(

DD has broken fingers, but nothing as significant as that. Heal quickly!!!

Mar 7, 2012
PA
Sometimes these types of injuries can help lead them to becoming a better player.

My first year coaching I had a girl break her ankle, she showed up to indoors every practice and asked me what she could work on. When the girls were warming up we sat her in chair to the wall and had her throwing a ball against it and fielding it. Each week she would move her chair a little closer, she went from being an average 3rd baseman in the fall to a stud, her reaction time and glove skills improved dramatically.

Last year I had a pitcher break her finger after the 2nd game. So I gave her a ball and had her spin it to herself, we told her the goal was to get it to go straight up and down as many times as possible. We would set a goal the beginning of practice and see if she could break the goal. Fast forward to being able to pitch again and her pitching had become a little bit faster.

Sometimes injuries make a player better because they have to slow down and focus on fewer things. Good Luck with the injury.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
How is the healing going?

Yesterday DD suffered a greenstick fracture of her glove hand forearm (play at the plate, got girl attempting delayed steal of home - awkward slide put runners knee into her arm).

“Only” 3-4 weeks we’re told. She’s taking it well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How is the healing going?

Yesterday DD suffered a greenstick fracture of her glove hand forearm (play at the plate, got girl attempting delayed steal of home - awkward slide put runners knee into her arm).

“Only” 3-4 weeks we’re told. She’s taking it well.

I hope the OP's DD is healed by now. This thread is over 3 years old. ;)

Sorry to hear about your DD. I hope she is back in action quickly.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
@BLINDSIDE ... sorry to hear about your daughter's injury... Any kind of injury is tough... that is a long time to be out...

When my daughter was injured (several times) she wanted to go and cheer for her team... and be in the dugout! So we all traveled to every game with her - even the long trips. In addition, she had to end her college softball with a chronic injury... and was unable to play only 5 innings last 2018-19 season... that was a tough season... but we were there for her team and mostly for her... She has moved forwarded and has become a stronger person and just got accepted into Nursing School at a local college!

Keep doing everything to keep your daughter involved... she will become more amazing every day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802