Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I have an 80+ year old parts driver in our parts department, he has a son that's a National skeet shooting champion, when I say he and his son has guns.......both of their homes are gun safes!

Those two have got on a Savage Bolt gun buying rampage lately, in .17 HMR. He says when they go on sale from Savage they buy two or three of them at a time.

He says with a mediocre scope these rifles and that .17 round are absolute tack drivers! Not sure how effective it would be for Coyote but one of my guys here at work has a buddy who took a Deer with a .17 this year!

.17 HMR is a fantastic round and a bolt action .17 is definitely on my want list at some point. Pretty sure it's illegal to shoot a deer with a .17 in all but maybe a couple states.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Being in Illinois I have a pretty decent collection of shotguns. Rifles are illegal to use for deer here. I have a pristine browning a5 field 12 gauge that’s my prettiest gun. For whatever reason I don’t shoot it very good though lol. Also have a browning sweet 16. Most of my hunts are done with a Remington 1100 or Winchester 1300 pump. I have a .410 single shot and 20 gauge Tristar semi auto for the kids along with a couple of .22’s. I bought the kids a crossbow for deer hunting a couple years ago as well. DD has taken a couple of deer with it. I can’t tell you how much the time I spend hunting and fishing with my kids means to me.
31682350-C85D-4F81-BC8B-B1B370AF239D.jpeg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm a staunch 2nd ammendment advocate.
Hey Shooter McGavin, you trying to change the subject on me.....cause it sounds like you’re trying to change the subject!

Yes sir, I’m Mr. 2A around here! It’s a God given, constitutional right! Both of my children have seen a pistol EVERYDAY of their lives since they were toddlers, to them it’s normal, we live that lifestyle and neither of my kids are curious! And they both can shoot!

I renewed my CCL at the first of the year, before the China virus struck, that’s my fifth time, so 25 years!

Dec 11, 2010
I have a Savage .17 HMR, stainless with synthetic stock. It was super cheap, shoots great. Have a 3x9 Leupold on it. For the money, I don’t know how it could be beat.

Really fun little rifle. It’s not fancy at all but is just plain shoots well. It tends to be in a handy spot in my three season room. It will zap anything that needs it! It’s definitely too small for midwest coyotes though especially when they have a winter coat.

I did just buy something firearm related. It hasn’t arrived yet. It is a SIRT dry fire laser training pistol. Supposed to mimic a Glock trigger and the trigger resets itself. Marks the target with a laser dot. I used to dry fire a real pistol a lot and it’s great for your shooting. As I get older I am more and more nervous about dry firing indoors. Even after double and triple checking it it makes me too nervous.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I have a pristine browning a5 field 12 gauge that’s my prettiest gun.

Man, those are beautiful. I used to get Wildfowl magazine and all those paintings of old time duck hunters seemed like they had an A5 in them. So classic. My uncle had a Sweet Sixteen. That shotgun just had an aura around it!

Used to do a lot of duck and goose hunting. Always shot Remington 870’s but bought a Remington SP-10 ten gauge to shoot geese with. That was the shotgun I didn’t shoot well! My buddy had one and he was lights out with it. He loved that thing so much that when they quit making them he panicked and went out and bought a second one “just in case!”

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
A classic! I’m not a Browning guy at all but I do love those things!

The barrels on the old shotguns were always so much longer than shotguns of today. The 870 my dad gave me when I was a kid has a 30” barrel on it, that A5 must be pretty close to that. Saw a lot of those beautiful A5’s with a %##*#} Polychoke on them over the years too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812