Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Looks like fun JAG, I wouldn't mind trying.

I see little bikes on the road here and there scooting around now...doubt they are supposed to be there but
we are in the country. Also doubt they go like hell like them...haha
Well, when you say "little bikes" that can be a big subject. "Scooters" of 50cc and less don't require a license to operate, so those are quite common for the DUI crowd. There is a pretty big growing population of "small bikes" though, and when I say small I'm saying 300cc or less. They're pretty popular with the millennial crowd as they don't really care about going fast like us from the previous generation. There's also another group, seems college age, that really loves taking a small bikes like the Honda Grom (125cc) and modding them into mini racebikes while still being street legal. With the amount of money you spend on building them, you could have just had a much faster 600. Kinda like the crowd that mods a Honda Civic to the moon, when you could have spent the same money and just bought a sports car from the start for less.

For us, minis were a stepping stone for my son. Learn the basics on smaller bikes before moving up. Crashing not only hurts more at higher speeds, but it also gets super expensive. On those minis, you could toss them down the track and just pick them up and get right back to it. Crash your R6 or CBR and you'll be breaking a lot of parts. Not only that, you can push yourself and learn how to push those limits, more safely. Then you move to the big track on a big bike and those limits are still the same at 125 as they were at 50. Honestly, I had a lot more fun racing minis. No pressure, and I could push the heck out of the bike and myself with little fear.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Riding Whistler on a Hardtail, like riding a jackhammer!

Most guys are shuttle riding this park on 6", 7", and 8" dual suspension big hit bikes, this kid can ride! Hey.....it's off topic!

I've never done anything like that. Looks like fun, though. Probably the riskiest thing I've done is either racing sprint cars with my boyfriend since he just got into the sport this season. Or the time I rode on the back of his dirtbike on a bunch of hills near our place and he was popping wheelies with me sitting on the back with me screaming bloody murder in his ear. Thank God I was wearing a helmet, lol. I laugh about the whole thing now, but back when it was happening, I wanted to strangle him, lol.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I've never done anything like that. Looks like fun, though. Probably the riskiest thing I've done is either racing sprint cars with my boyfriend since he just got into the sport this season. Or the time I rode on the back of his dirtbike on a bunch of hills near our place and he was popping wheelies with me sitting on the back with me screaming bloody murder in his ear. Thank God I was wearing a helmet, lol. I laugh about the whole thing now, but back when it was happening, I wanted to strangle him, lol.
Back when I was a stupid kid, whenever there was two of us on a dirt bike for some reason............I was driving!! Looking back at the stupid stuff I've done on dirt bikes and mountain bikes, I seriously should be dead!

My dad had 18 acres and it was split by a huge creek, just an awesome place for a young kid to grow up in, there was a deep ravine that we turned into probably a 20' gap jump. It had a massive oak tree coming out of it that was right inline with the landing. The trick was trying to just skirt the tree and to not die! There was 3 of us that made that jump hundreds of times and of course it started to get old. So the idea was anytime you rode that trail and made that jump, you had to either smack it with your hand (VERY quickly), or tabletop your bike and touch the tree with your back tire! That jump got way more interesting!

I'm pretty sure I still hold the record in my first old neighborhood for jumping 13 stupid kids (well the last couple laying down were stupid ;)) on an old steel GT bmx bike and a ramp we built in 10 minutes. Funny, I remember some parents watching like it was no big deal.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Back when I was a stupid kid, whenever there was two of us on a dirt bike for some reason............I was driving!! Looking back at the stupid stuff I've done on dirt bikes and mountain bikes, I seriously should be dead!

My dad had 18 acres and it was split by a huge creek, just an awesome place for a young kid to grow up in, there was a deep ravine that we turned into probably a 20' gap jump. It had a massive oak tree coming out of it that was right inline with the landing. The trick was trying to just skirt the tree and to not die! There was 3 of us that made that jump hundreds of times and of course it started to get old. So the idea was anytime you rode that trail and made that jump, you had to either smack it with your hand (VERY quickly), or tabletop your bike and touch the tree with your back tire! That jump got way more interesting!

I'm pretty sure I still hold the record in my first old neighborhood for jumping 13 stupid kids (well the last couple laying down were stupid ;)) on an old steel GT bmx bike and a ramp we built in 10 minutes. Funny, I remember some parents watching like it was no big deal.

Oh, man! That's more risky than I'd be willing to do, lol. I thought that with my boyfriend popping wheelies on those hills was bad enough with the mud and me on the back, lol. But even though I think about it now and laugh about it, it was fun though. But with the extra risk, it makes me glad I can either go in a sprint car with him or ride the daring rollercoasters at a local amusement park if I need an adrenaline rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom