grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
More on how Candrea cues the arm action.

We have seen how he likes live and independent hands to get addition (effective segmentation) and how this is not done by a gate swing oor a swing where the body is making the hands move.

He likens this to the arm action of the side am throw up to the point of connection.

When it gets to this point, then the actuak throw is like a hammer (palm up extension or what Willimas said was the AXE swing).

For how the actual throw happens, see this one armed drill:

BACK TO HOME PAGE

#81 top hand drill #1

sidearm throw with hammer release.

Note in the details he still encourages keeping the hips closed at toe touch, but this is NOT what happens in the MLB pattern. The upper body resistance of a well torqued handle keeps the hands back as Epstein describes it:

1- wind rubberband

2- tilt shoulders/keep elbow space/scoop sand with top hand/get hands flat ASAP/keep hands in

This is a meuch better description of how the hands stay back and control the swing, especially the importance of using the scaps to TILT not turn.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Wow-starting to wonder which one of you guys can pee the farthest???
seriously-starting to have an idea here. they make a slippery powder for bowlers to put on their shoes to enhance sliding. I am wondering if the girls coated their top glove pretty good & lined up their knuckles offset....maybe they could move to good palm up, palm down by contact???

May 12, 2008
It's really not about who can pee the farthest though it seems that way.

Interesting idea about making the top glove slippery though I'd worry about it sliding up the bat. Way to think outside the box.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The hips do not artificially open up with a front foot that is open 45 degrees. At least the backside of the hips that I understand us to be talking about here.

Also my daughter's front foot does not open beyond the angle it lands at (45 degrees or less) because there is always too much pressure on it for it to move. When she strides and the ball of her front foot lands her front knee is flexed and there is too much pressure on her front foot for it to move. Once her front heel drops she uses the front foot to hit against, and once again there is way to much pressure being exerted on the front foot for it to move. After contact and during her follow through the front foot sometimes naturally turns over on it's side because of the momentum of the swing.

Hitting with an open front foot saves the front knee from undue stress.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This has now changed. Not been released yet to RVP. Sue Enquest and Don Slaught tested stepping into a bucket with a flexed front leg landing on the big toe. No longer stepping at a 45% angle. It allowed the hips to stay back longer and generated a more powerful swing when they measured the results. We have started using this during lessons and the power now can be felt. You can use a bucket filled with sand , easy to carry or a concrete block for our drills. Was at a college camp this weekend and they just starting using this drill.

May 12, 2008
I'm glad they are moving this way but most of the things they have come to are old news to those who have read setpro and Englishbey all these years.

Oct 29, 2008
Tom, HELP!

What do they REALLY mean?

What part of the "same elephant" are they describing?

Appreciatively,

Scott

This has now changed. Not been released yet to RVP. Sue Enquest and Don Slaught tested stepping into a bucket with a flexed front leg landing on the big toe. No longer stepping at a 45% angle. It allowed the hips to stay back longer and generated a more powerful swing when they measured the results. We have started using this during lessons and the power now can be felt. You can use a bucket filled with sand , easy to carry or a concrete block for our drills. Was at a college camp this weekend and they just starting using this drill.

Are you saying the front foot stayed closed longer?

Yes. I will try to find my e mail. .

Oct 29, 2008

I have repeatedly had similar results. Opening the front foot into plant WILL artificially cause the hips to start rotating.

I say artificilly, because although the hip rotation begins, it does not do so forcefully.

As Mankin says, in disagreement with Epstein, it "uses up the hips." (without creating any power)

Good a way to put it as any.

Certainly, some elite hitters DO plant to a fairly open front foot. But it is caused by the hips rotating into foot plant as well. At least, that is my belief.

Whch doesn't matter much. If the MEASURED force is greater when hitting from a closed foot, then there you have it. Certainly, the bio-mechanics literature supports this, in that it indicates that keeping the foot closed (relatively) more actively brings the pelvic muscles into play, better initiating the Serape Effect.

Thanks and regards,

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449