Great catch and throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Tournament this weekend - played some tough teams - DD did well. Batted .400 and made some good plays.
Got a couple I was proud of -
One game - the wind was brutal this weekend so it was harder to track fly balls. DD is also not the fastest but made a play where she was able to get to the ball and dove to catch. The opposing coach even gave her a high five.
Other game - grounder to RF - runner on 2nd. She made a great throw to home but catcher dropped it - but the ball beat the runner easily.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Do have a question - my husband thinks I should have scored that throw from RF to C as an error on the catcher but stuff like that I really never do since it's not necessarily a routine play. Obv those plays are tougher than others?

Nov 23, 2021
SC
If you are going to give an error to anyone, its on the throw, your daughter. Same play as if the third basemen throws it short of the firstbasemen and she cant scoop it. I wouldn't have gave an error to anyone on a bang bang play like that one.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
On those long throws, they are taught to throw it so it does a short hop so that the fielder can get the ball easier. Cuz you're not going to be throwing it right to the catcher's glove from the outfield.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
Easier to field a short hop versus a ball in the air on the body? do you think she could have thrown the ball 5 more feet? what about if she was charging the ball?

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
It's hard to see in the video where the ball hit because the ump is blocking the view but it was right to the catcher who was setup right in front of home plate. She had the ball in her glove but dropped it. Which IMO happens on plays like that which is why I never think to score as an error because it's such a fast play.

I see it happen all the time in MLB so would never had considered it an error.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Nice diving catch. Wasn’t a terrible throw given the circumstances, but definitely can’t give the catcher an error - that’s not an easy ball to come up with.

If an outfielder can’t make the throw in the air it is better to throw it on a line and let it “long hop” the catcher as opposed to short hop or in-between hop her, do that part is right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812