Grabbing player's mask, ok or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I understand the temptation to grab a facemask. Some of these kids get that teenage attitude and won't look at you when they roll their eyes and what you just told them. Still, the only kid whose facemask I ever grabbed was my own daughter's. For some reason no one on team has the ability to irk me as much as she. LOL

But right or wrong we are in an age where we really have to be cognizant of how we are perceived as coaches. I think it's safer not to push that particular envelope.

Now I will admit to patting the top of a players helmet on third base after she smashes a triple. There have been games I would have hugged them I was so happy but I settle for the pat on the helmet.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
So as a parent you would have no problem if I walked up slapped you on top of the head and said good job coaching, just a small doink, just to make sure you were paying attention. No big deal right?

SL

there are some really, really uptight and condescending individuals.

we have fun. I have parents that punch me in the arm and tell me how stupid it was to send the girl home. Maybe I should sue them.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
DD stands for dear daughter and its not a softball thing it's an Internet thing. Long before I came here I would see DW and DH on forums.

It was an attempted euphemism. There is just some sort of overindulgement or something... I can't quite put my finger on what it is, in softball. Or else I would have already done that rant. I can't articulate it, but it's there.

The fine tooth critique of all aspects of the sport and the kids playing, even at the younger ages is just... different. And I'm not excluding myself because I'm a daddy and I'm right here chirping away on the keyboard

Aug 2, 2008
I havnt read any responses. I treat the kids I coach as humans, I respect them, if they dont respect me back they dont get to play on my team. I would never manhandle an adult that works for me.

When I am a spectator I watch how coaches treat my daughters. I am not a tough guy by no means, but if you lay a hand on my kids in anger one of us is getting his rear kicked. :)

p.s. I am not emotionless, I high five and pat the helmet when things get exciting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45