Gotta love turf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Love the 8 am games with dew on the fields. Panama City turf fields are smoking in July. Not much shade
In Panama City saw a ball bounce off a temporary outfield fence and make it all the way back to the infield. It was like Pong.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Not SB related but turf related.
Bloody knees all around.

60c01ac323fad4c01f553484b57da4b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
Yeah, sliding on turf can have consequences. This burn is through knee-high socks. I don't anticipate it is going to be real popular in Phoenix in May or September. A new enormous multi-sport facility was built here with 8 fields, all turf, 4 of them painted for baseball. 🙄 We only have to pass about a dozen perfectly good dirt/grass facilities on the hour-long drive out there.

IMG_20220131_213302933~2.jpg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I maintained a brand new facility for a small D3 college on Long Island. We had a turf baseball infield with a clay mound cut out, a turf soccer/lax field and a clay softball infield, grass in both outfields. I saw the good and bad for both types of fields. The clay was a pain, moisture had to be perfect, too wet it was slippery, to dry and it got rock hard. On an average summer day I hand watered before the 1st game and by the end of the second the players didn't want to slide on it. The turf was also more work than most people expect. The rubber infill has to be groomed regularly in the sliding areas and at home plate, it migrates. The clay from the mound had to be swept out of the turf. The clay from the Sball infield had to be blown out the grass on a regular basis. The big thing that most people don't think about is that turf has to be watered regularly if there is no rain. Bodily fluids from players build up in the turf and become a growth medium for bacteria, sliding burns can become infected. And yes, the turf is hot, I can't imagine playing on it in the South in the summer. We had giant sprinklers to cool it down, but the humidity went sky high when the water evaporated. The rubber infill also works it's way into footwear and eventually destroys it. I loved being around the sports. Between the college season, high school playoffs, fastpitch summer leagues and travel tournaments I saw at least 60 softball games a year.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I maintained a brand new facility for a small D3 college on Long Island. We had a turf baseball infield with a clay mound cut out, a turf soccer/lax field and a clay softball infield, grass in both outfields. I saw the good and bad for both types of fields. The clay was a pain, moisture had to be perfect, too wet it was slippery, to dry and it got rock hard. On an average summer day I hand watered before the 1st game and by the end of the second the players didn't want to slide on it. The turf was also more work than most people expect. The rubber infill has to be groomed regularly in the sliding areas and at home plate, it migrates. The clay from the mound had to be swept out of the turf. The clay from the Sball infield had to be blown out the grass on a regular basis. The big thing that most people don't think about is that turf has to be watered regularly if there is no rain. Bodily fluids from players build up in the turf and become a growth medium for bacteria, sliding burns can become infected. And yes, the turf is hot, I can't imagine playing on it in the South in the summer. We had giant sprinklers to cool it down, but the humidity went sky high when the water evaporated. The rubber infill also works it's way into footwear and eventually destroys it. I loved being around the sports. Between the college season, high school playoffs, fastpitch summer leagues and travel tournaments I saw at least 60 softball games a year.
My guess is that's St. Joseph's in Patchogue, right? If so, my girls played summer league there with BBH when they were 12U-14U. It was a great complex for our local softball, especially when you consider how bad CYA, Sipp, and Bellport were.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Living where we're under a winter storm warning this weekend...I would absolutely love a turf infield/outfield. We got 3" of snow two days ago, and who knows how much is coming this weekend. My field is an absolute mess and will be for a while.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My guess is that's St. Joseph's in Patchogue, right? If so, my girls played summer league there with BBH when they were 12U-14U. It was a great complex for our local softball, especially when you consider how bad CYA, Sipp, and Bellport were.
Yup. When it was being built I told the company that since I was going to be 'a one man band' I needed a softball infield that would be easy to maintain. They gave me the same mix they used at Citi Field! Easy to maintain with a 6 man crew.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28