Gotta love turf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Played on turf this weekend. DH got an amazing hit and was trying to make it a triple. She got there - dove head first to slide in (they did make an amazing relay to get to the 3rd baseman). She got to 3rd in time but slid "off" and 3rd baseman was able to hold the tag to get her out. Nothing to hold onto :rolleyes:

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
that is a downside on turf. and can be even more slippery if wet. And i bet she'll slide earlier next time.

BUT maybe having the turf allowed the game to be played versus rain out due to wet field.
It's been dry here for a bit so no issues with wet fields -but I see its purpose. They actually didn't even tell us it was turf fields until the night before - a team dropped out when they were told ;)

Jun 20, 2015
for the most part i am not a turf fan. players have to change shoes, adjust to bounce changes, sliding changes, it can be brutally hot, pitching lane mats, lines for batting boxes, etc.

BUT it is nice to be able to get games going again just minutes after rain, especially in a weekend tourney setting.

Feb 24, 2022
I have come to appreciate turf - our team was able to use a turf field for our practices in the Fall and we didn't have 1 rain out. We were able to practice 1 day after the area got 8" of rain, while other teams were off the fields for a week. Plus, the bounces you get are so true, don't have to worry about a ball hitting a rock or anything. I wouldn't want to play on it 100% of the time, but it sure is nice not to worry about rain outs.

Jan 28, 2017
And if it is Newberry, you better start your slide halfway to the bag.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Love the 8 am games with dew on the fields. Panama City turf fields are smoking in July. Not much shade

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812