Got the No Lefty Catchers speech from a College Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, some of you may be familiar with my DD as I've posted about this before. She is a lefty catcher and has been quite successful with it. Along the way, we have periodically run into TB coaches (mostly those coming out of baseball) with an inherent bias against lefty catchers. Part of the argument always seems to include the assertion that lefty catchers are at a disadvantage throwing to third base with a right-handed batter in the box.

DD went to a two-day College Camp (mid-major D1 here in the South) this past weekend. Played great. Hit two over the fence in soft toss. Caught well in the scrimmage (there weren't any throwdown opportunities). Afterwards, she spoke individually to each of the three coaches (Head Coach, Assistant Coach, and Volunteer Assistant Coach). HC and AC spoke to her with tips about her hitting and seemed focused on that. Volunteer Assistant coach said, "Just want to let you know that in 16 years of coaching, I've never recruited a lefty catcher." Proceeded on with the argument outlined above. DD politely interjected at one point to describe how she successfully threw out an ITB runner at third in the State Semi-Finals. He continued talking, saying that at this level, you just don't see lefty catchers (not true: UGA had one a couple of years ago).

Question; would it be considered rude/cheeky if she VERY POLITELY sent video of 3rd base throwdowns? I have three, including the one in the State Semi-Finals. DD loved, loved, loved this school and I would say it's her first choice right now. Should she fight for it? Remember, this wasn't the HC saying this.

ETA: She's a 2022.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If this is her #1 school, fight like hell for it!

I'm not sure the best way to go forward with this particular coach, but your DD can add to her future argument that a lefty catcher won an Olympic Gold Medal (Jenny Topping). I can't recall the name right now, but I'm pretty sure there's a lefty catcher in NPF.

Dec 11, 2010
It would be a bad bet if what you stand to lose is more than you stand to gain. Doesn’t sound like there is anything to lose?

I think she should send it. Alternate clips of outs at third and first.

There sure are a lot of lefty hitters in high level rosters. I like the idea of a clear throwdown to 2 and 3. Maybe I’m nuts.

My goodness, catchers that can hit are like gold as far as I’m concerned.

eta: Eric F and I were typing at same time!

Nov 29, 2009
Your DD is in a no-win situation with the coach. They have NEVER recruited a lefty catcher. Right there they are biased against your DD, no matter how many videos you send them. The thought will always be how many steals were successful that weren't shown?

It goes to show you that even college coaches can miss a lot of things. Lefty or righty catcher must still clear the RH batter before making the throw down to 3rd. If anything... She has an advantage. She doesn't have to clear a RH batter as much as a RH'nded catcher.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
He also sort of vaguely waved his arm to the right side of the field and told her that's where she needs to focus. Whether he was specifically saying outfield or not (maybe first base? That's her secondary position) was not clear. He told her that she would be recruited for her hitting. Frankly, she is WAY too slow to be a good outfielder.

Jul 22, 2015
Never hurts for them to see the video. If this is her first choice school she needs to determine if the school or the position is more important. Can she play 1B or OF? If she can get them to recruit her bat and has ANY ability to play the other positions then she can try and work her way into catching once she's on campus. But, keep in mind that MANY schools recruit a kid based on overall ability and change their position as they see fit once they are on the team. At least this school is being up front about their thoughts. My guess is that the vast majority of the schools that recruit her bat will intend to change her to 1B whether they say that or not.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Never hurts for them to see the video. If this is her first choice school she needs to determine if the school or the position is more important. Can she play 1B or OF? If she can get them to recruit her bat and has ANY ability to play the other positions then she can try and work her way into catching once she's on campus. But, keep in mind that MANY schools recruit a kid based on overall ability and change their position as they see fit once they are on the team. At least this school is being up front about their thoughts. My guess is that the vast majority of the schools that recruit her bat will intend to change her to 1B whether they say that or not.

She's a decent 1st baseman, but only 5'4." Don't know how much that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802