Got the No Lefty Catchers speech from a College Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2018
Texas
So, some of you may be familiar with my DD as I've posted about this before. She is a lefty catcher and has been quite successful with it. Along the way, we have periodically run into TB coaches (mostly those coming out of baseball) with an inherent bias against lefty catchers. Part of the argument always seems to include the assertion that lefty catchers are at a disadvantage throwing to third base with a right-handed batter in the box.

DD went to a two-day College Camp (mid-major D1 here in the South) this past weekend. Played great. Hit two over the fence in soft toss. Caught well in the scrimmage (there weren't any throwdown opportunities). Afterwards, she spoke individually to each of the three coaches (Head Coach, Assistant Coach, and Volunteer Assistant Coach). HC and AC spoke to her with tips about her hitting and seemed focused on that. Volunteer Assistant coach said, "Just want to let you know that in 16 years of coaching, I've never recruited a lefty catcher." Proceeded on with the argument outlined above. DD politely interjected at one point to describe how she successfully threw out an ITB runner at third in the State Semi-Finals. He continued talking, saying that at this level, you just don't see lefty catchers (not true: UGA had one a couple of years ago).

Question; would it be considered rude/cheeky if she VERY POLITELY sent video of 3rd base throwdowns? I have three, including the one in the State Semi-Finals. DD loved, loved, loved this school and I would say it's her first choice right now. Should she fight for it? Remember, this wasn't the HC saying this.

ETA: She's a 2022.
Just tell them to call Gerry Glasco at University of Louisiana-Lafayette. His starting catcher is a returning 1st team all conference left handed catcher who was also an NFCA All Region pick. His back up catcher is a left handed transfer from Missouri.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Guess what? Washington has a lefty catcher; Emma Helm. Current #1 ranked team in the country. "You just don't see lefty catchers at that level." Hmmmmmm......

Jul 12, 2019
Maybe he was testing her (and her parents).

Translation: I don't think you have the ambition to play at Tech U.

Either his words are not truth and she does have the ambition and skill needed, or he's right and she is "only" QSU material.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
She's dogged and is not going to give up on this school so quickly. She is keeping in touch with them (they can't answer, but they "like" her Tweets). We showed up for one of their games last night and she Tweeted a picture and tagged them. All she can do is keep doing her thing and expressing interest.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Maybe he was testing her (and her parents).

Translation: I don't think you have the ambition to play at Tech U.

Either his words are not truth and she does have the ambition and skill needed, or he's right and she is "only" QSU material.
Or maybe he is a head in the sand, stick in the mud, dumber than a bag of hammers, never heard of Emma Helm guy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bump
Heres a list within posts of lefty catchers!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
I am curious where the young lady is at now.
She's dogged and is not going to give up on this school so quickly. She is keeping in touch with them (they can't answer, but they "like" her Tweets). We showed up for one of their games last night and she Tweeted a picture and tagged them. All she can do is keep doing her thing and expressing interest.

Is she still in contact with said school? Somewhere else? Quit softball to be a UFC fighter?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
HI! OP here. Well, COVID happened. But then good stuff happened. I'll find the thread that details it and post it here.

Here it is!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478