GoPro housing/case suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I recently bought the GoPro 4 Silver edition camera and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of which housing to use so I can attach an external battery. The housing that came with it is the waterproof case which I like because it will keep the dust out, but there is no external access. I've seen the plastic skeleton housings but wonder how tough they are because I will be using the Lynkspyder to film the games. I've also seen the metal housings and wondered if they would do any good. What do you guys use?

Feb 3, 2011
That's a bummer that the 4 doesn't come with the skeleton case. From an impact standpoint, the skeleton is essentially the same case as the primary waterproof one. The difference is that the side and back are open, which enable you to connect an external battery effortlessly. You may need to fashion a small sunshade or use cooling packs when temps are high and you're fighting direct sunlight, but either way, I'd avoid the metal cases under high heat conditions.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I have several cases actually. Before the skeleton case was available, you had to kind of "roll your own". I just drilled through the side of my case so I could get to the plug (this was before I started using the Switronix battery eliminator). Obviously, that isn't needed anymore in the advent of the skeleton case. With that said, when the weather is clear, I use "The Frame" because one less piece of glass in front of the lens will produce better video. When the weather looks like rain, I put the modified skeleton case in place. One other thing you can do when there is rain in the area: Keep zip top bags handy. When the rain hits, drop the bag over the top of the camera case and poke a small hole for the lens cover. Stretch the hole over the lens cover on the case and you are set.

Nov 1, 2008
I keep 2 cases with me. A waterproof case, and what was once a waterproof case with the hole cut for the charging cable. I also put the open back on that case just in case it helps it run cooler.

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Part of why I asked about the skeleton case is that it has the pad across the middle of the back which will interfere with the touch screen. Guess I'll try the frame mount first and maybe get a skeleton later when I can find one with a different back.

BTW Thanks Josh. I received the Lynkspyder today (already), looks hella sturdy. Can't wait to try it out. Just gotta dig out of all this snow first.

Sep 7, 2014
I had the same issues with the skeleton case blocking the screen. I bought a "frame case" and plan on just buying an extra standard case and drilling a hole like Josh said for bad weather. I did buy a lynkspyder and have used it for 2 indoor tournaments and its been awesome.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
One other thing I forgot to mention: The Skeleton or Frame cases will also yield you much better audio as the microphones are more exposed. Sometimes, especially on windy days, the audio in the full poly case has pretty bad sound. Additionally, I'm going to experiment this year with an external mic to try to avoid recording some of the "parental commentary" behind the fence. It can sometimes cause drama. I don't generally edit it out, but just produce the video, and upload. :)

Nov 1, 2008
One other thing I forgot to mention: The Skeleton or Frame cases will also yield you much better audio as the microphones are more exposed. Sometimes, especially on windy days, the audio in the full poly case has pretty bad sound. Additionally, I'm going to experiment this year with an external mic to try to avoid recording some of the "parental commentary" behind the fence. It can sometimes cause drama. I don't generally edit it out, but just produce the video, and upload. :)

Got some audio Tuesday night of some teenage fans from the other team commenting that So And So cheats on him all the time. Got a little chuckle to myself thinking that they had no clue that conversation was being recorded. It was rather windy so most of it was muffled.

I've also joked with other parents and pointed out that it does record audio. It's always good for a laugh when grandparents ask about it and I explain what I'm doing and ask them not to use any dirty words.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28