GoPro HERO8 Announcement ... initial thoughts.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
This is posted on our blog and will be maintained as new information is discovered. I don't want to cross any lines on this forum and post a direct link. DM me if you want the link and can't find it. Our goal is not to post everything about the GoPro. Rather, we want to show how any improvements might be beneficial while recording baseball and softball games. Here's what we have so far:

With the GoPro HERO8 Black just announced today (10/1/2019), we will certainly be digging into this new flagship as more information becomes available and when have a chance to play with it a bit. Here's what we know so far:

1.) In stores on 10/20/19 (Sunday). Shipping from GoPro on 10/15/19.
2.) 1080p live streaming
3.) FOV questions not known. Although, they do mention "Digital Lenses" which suggests a digital zoom, possibly allowing FOV adjustment in more resolutions.
3.) Price $399
4.) Media module allows USB-C, HDMI, and 3.5mm audio, all on the back of the module. This will be a great feature to protect those ports. This module will cost $79. Has some other nice features to support external light and display mods, but this really doesn't translate to our sport. Also, I can't find any official information on if it is waterproof...it has to be though, right?
5.) External housing appears to be a new design. This means previous housings will not be compatible. However....
6.) Base GoPro now has the standard GoPro fingers as a fold-able support member, folding under the camera when not in use. Will certainly have to see how strong this will be. But almost certainly means that the standard frame housing will not be an option for this camera.
7.) Lens cover does NOT appear to be replaceable. This makes me uncomfortable.
8.) Camera still 12MP for photos.

More to come as we learn more about the camera and options leading up to the release date. As usual, we will have one in hand when it releases and will follow up with more details as they present themselves. However, based on specs, I see no issues with LynkSpyder compatibility at this time.

UPDATE: 10/1/2019 @ 10:17AM

While these are not confirmed reports, we found a few answers and additional details from some online sources:

1.) Only one side door that covers the battery, SD card, and USB-C port. This is sort of a problem because if you want to use external power (and really, you have to), you will have to have the side door open or off. That makes the camera very susceptible to water damage.
2.) A report from the Verge states that the Media Module is not water proof.
3.) In the same report, the tester dropped his GoPro from 18" and shattered the back glass (perhaps a fluke).
4.) The tester reported recording in 4K24 Linear FOV. This appears to conclude that adjustable FOVs are available at larger resolutions.
5.) Camera gets very hot. Not sure if the tester has used previous GoPro cameras, but heat has always been an issue. If this one is hotter, it is certainly an area of concern.
6.) Minimum resolution is now 1080p. Not really a concern of mine.

Here is the link to the Verge article referenced above: https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/1/...mera-image-stabilization-price-specs-features

Apr 16, 2013
With the issues listed here, how much does this affect a typical softball game? I think I'm one of the very few that uses a real camcorder with the lynkspyder. I've had softballs come straight back into it, actually denting the outer aluminum rim of the unit. I've had it rained on and I literally just take my hat off and put it on top of it. Never had an issue beyond needing to turn it on and off to fix the focus after a near direct hit. I think I've been using this one around 2 years. (Panasonic HC-V770) As much use as I've gotten out of this thing and the quality it produces, it seems these issues are minor.

Josh, I think a good potential "add on" to the lynkspyder would be a simple "umbrella" type attachment. Like I said above, when it starts sprinkling/raining, I literally just put my hat on top of my camcorder. I'd think it'd be real easy to attach some type of small shade on the top of the lynkspyder to not only shade from rain, but the sun to help keep the unit cooler.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
With the issues listed here, how much does this affect a typical softball game? I think I'm one of the very few that uses a real camcorder with the lynkspyder. I've had softballs come straight back into it, actually denting the outer aluminum rim of the unit. I've had it rained on and I literally just take my hat off and put it on top of it. Never had an issue beyond needing to turn it on and off to fix the focus after a near direct hit. I think I've been using this one around 2 years. (Panasonic HC-V770) As much use as I've gotten out of this thing and the quality it produces, it seems these issues are minor.

Josh, I think a good potential "add on" to the lynkspyder would be a simple "umbrella" type attachment. Like I said above, when it starts sprinkling/raining, I literally just put my hat on top of my camcorder. I'd think it'd be real easy to attach some type of small shade on the top of the lynkspyder to not only shade from rain, but the sun to help keep the unit cooler.

We've played with several options. They all become wind catchers which shake the fence, screw with the audio, or get the attention of Coach "That Guy" (we've all seen a "That Guy" right?). These days, my favorite solution is to mount the battery bag on the top groove and hang over the camera. But this gets me back to the GoPro. That probably wouldn't work well with your camcorder.

Sounds like you've had some great success with your camera. Unfortunately, it isn't the norm. Camera's that have mechanical zoom and focus have really small gears inside. They are notorious for getting stripped on an impact. For this reason alone, we focus on the rugged, fixed optical zoom cameras. We're most certainly not "in bed" with GoPro. When a better solution comes along, we most certainly will make sure we can accommodate it.

Feb 15, 2017
Fight my Hero Black 7 alot, not really thrilled. Always fighting it shutting off, card formatting issues etc. when it works the video is awesome, but its about 60/40.

Apr 16, 2013
Sounds like you've had some great success with your camera. Unfortunately, it isn't the norm. Camera's that have mechanical zoom and focus have really small gears inside. They are notorious for getting stripped on an impact. For this reason alone, we focus on the rugged, fixed optical zoom cameras. We're most certainly not "in bed" with GoPro. When a better solution comes along, we most certainly will make sure we can accommodate it.

I guess it might be a really well made product! That being said, the little automatic shutter piece that would cover up the lens when you turn it off did break. But, another thing I learned is to always back the camcorder off just a hair from actually touching the fence. I get the shot I want then back it off about half a cm. That way when the ball makes contact with the fence it doesn't make contact with the camcorder, at least easily. If it takes a direct hit it will knock it out of focus, but turning it on and off again fixes that. It's also very rare to happen, only happened twice in the years I've been using it. I think I paid around 700 for it so I've gotten my money's worth since it's been near flawless. Of course I don't get to hang it on netting type fences, too heavy and a direct hit means a hard hit. Those are mostly only at college campuses though.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for this informative post. I remember always having heat issues with older models, but nothing has been as bad for me as the 7 has been. It was like the Windows Vista of gopro's. I have been disappointed more often than not with this one, so I'm ready to move on.

Apr 20, 2015
I've used a cell.phone, a go pro and now a mevo. The mevo had by far been the easiest to use and has had the best heat tolerance. We live in the midwest and I've only had to shut it off one time when the heat index was over 100 in direct sunlight. I have the second generation of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812