good read I think -

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
apparently, if it doesn't load, you can click on the link. the article is about umpires and lunkhead parents and fans, coaches, and players. I can't imagine having a program so undisciplined that the local ump's association refuses to work their games.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
apparently, if it doesn't load, you can click on the link. the article is about umpires and lunkhead parents and fans, coaches, and players. I can't imagine having a program so undisciplined that the local ump's association refuses to work their games.

We are at least 20-30 umpires short locally for travel and high school softball. Probably more.

I am back officiating basketball - Technically I was taking a season off and just going to fill in this season, but they are just so short I did 6 games last week.

Volleyball we have been doing 1 man crews for a lot of JV and middle school not because the schools want that, but because we don't have enough to provide 2 for every game.

And so on.

There was a thread on facebook about how because umpires accept money they deserve to be treated however the crowd decide we should - that is actually part of the job and if you don't like it, don't do it... and how many are just there for the money.

Having officiated 10 different sports, let me tell you that if it was just for money, softball & baseball would not be how I would be going about it. I would just do mid-level volleyball - AC, inside, no running or moving, games always on times, the ball doesn't leave welts, no special equipment and more than enough games that I could keep busy pretty much everyday for the same money.

May 29, 2015

There are schools I turn down work for because of their coaches and fans.

We don’t have a “strong” association (meaning one that is involved in scheduling or daily happenings) to “blacklist” anybody, so those schools can always find somebody willing to work for them.

Due to the shortage, anybody wanting to work will work. It is a vicious circle ... quality umpires turn down assignments due to coaches/parents/players ... school hires lesser experienced officials ... coaches/parents/players get upset with less experienced officials ... officials turn down games ... the circle continues.

Lower quality officials keep getting work, no need to improve. No improvement = angry fans. Angry fans = lower quality officials keep getting work.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have always been amazed and disgusted by the actions of some people. A plate umpire may call close to 300 pitches in one game. And if they get 2 or 3 of them wrong, they are being harassed by the stands. In what other walk of life can you be correct 99% of the time and still be treated like that. And at the same time, if those spectators were treated that way at their place of employment, they would be forming a line at the HR office filing complaints about it. Sure there are bad officials out there as well, but even the good ones put up with a lot of crap. I have no idea what the typical official makes, but I'm damn sure it isn't enough.

Oct 4, 2018
I have always been amazed and disgusted by the actions of some people. A plate umpire may call close to 300 pitches in one game. And if they get 2 or 3 of them wrong, they are being harassed by the stands. In what other walk of life can you be correct 99% of the time and still be treated like that. And at the same time, if those spectators were treated that way at their place of employment, they would be forming a line at the HR office filing complaints about it. Sure there are bad officials out there as well, but even the good ones put up with a lot of crap. I have no idea what the typical official makes, but I'm damn sure it isn't enough.

Agreed.

I tell the parents to not comment on the umpires until we're back at our tents. No good comes from heckling, insulting, questioning the umpires from the stands. I also tell them that the umpires know more about this game than any first year 10U parent ever will.

I'm kind of a jerk about it to my parents, but I just don't accept rude behavior and poor sportsmanship from parents. I'm very puzzled what makes them think they can do that. And what they think it's accomplishing.

Apr 16, 2013
I think the only way to fix it is to start allowing LIBERAL ejecting of parents, fans, and coaches. From what I've known of umps, TDs tell them to take near physical abuse before ejecting anyone. It's like teachers not being allowed to discipline kids. Sooo, guess what happens? It's going to get worse before it gets better. :(

Aug 3, 2019
A few ramblings to consider:

Having been around the games of baseball and softball for 30 years I’ve been a player, an umpire (extra $$ doing LL rec ball during college) and now a dad and coach.

— most parents have no idea what they are talking about. Contrary to popular belief, 5-10% of parents actually played college level or above and do know the game.
—quality of umpires is deteriorating, to the point that many basic rules are misunderstood. I.e. Had an umpire recently insist that a run counted which crossed the plate seconds before the 3rd out of the inning was recorded at 2nd via force out.
—umpires have become more aggressive themselves(perhaps out of necessity from enduring years of abuse). Unfortunately, civil discussion around a misapplied ruling has been taken out of the game. In above circumstance, no reasoned discussion was allowed
—Due To financial constraints, I’ve recently seen several 10u tournament games with one plate umpire responsible for the entire field. That is putting him in an unfair position. No one can adequately do that at a high level.

I’d like to see TB teams charge more, to attract better quality umpires back to the game.

And I don’t believe the answer is to ask umpires to be more aggressive. The answer is to hold the coaches (like myself) responsible for parent behavior. My parents know I am on top of the game and aside from the mild gripe, they stay in line. If a parent can’t be civil, their kid can’t play on my team.

Jun 4, 2019
i would like to become an ump after I’m done coaching. But the only thing that would give me pause is what I see at about every tournament/game I go to. With parents. I agree with the letter about teaching teams to overcome a possible bad call from time to time.

now some umps are better than others, but we can’t get enough umps, so we take what we get. And they all do the best they can, I don’t think any are out to screw a team.

I did have an incident this weekend where a field ump made a call on a tag where he wasn’t in position to see the tag. Called her safe. I politely called time and went to discuss. He said she did not tag her. I asked him, In a very polite way, if he would ask the plate ump to get his perspective. He said it was a judgement call and he he wouldn’t confer with the PU. I Went to the plate ump and told him of the conversation and told him I followed every step I’ve ever been told to follow and the FU refused. He went out and talked to him for a second, but the FU would not grant the appeal.

After the game, I saw them 2 talking for quite a while at the rubber. The PU came up to me a Little while later and said the field umpire was incorrect, it was not a judgment call and he should have granted the appeal since I did so in a professional manner. He said had the umpire appealed to him, he would’ve made the correct call. But he could not do so unless the field umpire initiated the appeal.

So while I put 95% of blame on the parents and some coaches, some umps can be stubborn and get me mad as hell. Lol

May 29, 2015
We want you to become an umpire! Quit coaching! 😁

Here is something I would like to see in travel ball ... if a parent is acting up to the point of ejecting himself/herself, the head coach goes too. A warning to the coach would be in order first.

Then again, maybe the parent doesn’t like the coach ...

Oh, oh ... maybe we allow the player to eject her own parent! Nope, nope. I see that backfiring too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28