good read I think -

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
But not as many as you think. Less than 1% in my experience - of course they probably stand out more so people probably perceive it as being more.
Not be argumentative but how do you know with such authority what type of umps we see in our area? The pool of umps where you are and the pool of umps where I am are 2 completely different pools. Is it too far fetched for you to believe that there is a large difference between the 2? I can tell you unequivocally that when we travel outside of our local area, the umpires get significantly better. I don't know what it is about our area but we get more than our share of doozies. A helluva lot more than 1%.

Mar 28, 2014
It's an interesting point you make.

When I'm calling pitches and my pitcher hits her location but it's called a ball, I want my pitcher to know she did well hitting her spot. Sometimes the spot is on the river, or even a purposeful ball.

I certainly don't want the umps reading anything into it other than "Sally, that was awesome."

Hmm...
"Good miss" covers all the bases. That's what you say.

Oct 4, 2018
I do say "good pitch" on strikes / foul balls far more than on balls. And my tone is very "being reassuring to a little girl".

I think I'm safe. :)

Mar 28, 2014
I'm not so sure. I don't want a 9 year old pitcher thinking she missed. And she didn't miss. She nailed it.
That's cured with one discussion about how sometimes you want to "miss" by not throwing a strike and hope the batter will chase.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not be argumentative but how do you know with such authority what type of umps we see in our area? The pool of umps where you are and the pool of umps where I am are 2 completely different pools. Is it too far fetched for you to believe that there is a large difference between the 2? I can tell you unequivocally that when we travel outside of our local area, the umpires get significantly better. I don't know what it is about our area but we get more than our share of doozies. A helluva lot more than 1%.

Umpired 10 sports across most USA states from 8u to D1 college. Also umpired internationally in 2 sports. I don't like to think about it, but it is now well over 30 years since I umpired my first game (basketball). The personalities and types of people who officiate have been very similar across all these experiences.

Sure there may be some level of difference in competencies and personalities and who is running the local officials in a sport or area, and not saying you don't have an extra share of the 1%, but it has been surprisingly similar across it all.

Also the age groups you are watching regularly makes a huge difference; and the level of competition; and how certain groups assign their officials.

Also you didn't say 'your local area' in your post. So you can imagine as an official saying that you see too many on 'power trips' and that we have 'no power anywhere else in life' is fairly insulting to someone who spends their time on the field umpiring games.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This has been an interesting discussion. I never really thought about saying "nice pitch", or something similar, and worrying that the umpire was ultra-sensitive and was going to take offense to it. I remember when DD first start pitching at 8 years old. If she was able to get it to the plate without it bouncing 3 times or sailing 10 feet over the catcher's head, I would routinely say "nice pitch". In no way did I expect it to be called a strike. Just that she was showing some improvement... Likewise, as she aged, there were plenty of situations when she would throw a ball just off the zone that I thought was a great pitch in the situation. Again, I would state "nice pitch", knowing for a fact that it was a ball and that the umpire made the right call. I was not trying to change the umpires mind. Just reinforcing that DD placed the pitch in a good spot. I just always assumed that the umpire understood that my job was to coach my players. And sometimes that requires positive reinforcement when they did something well. I never once did it as a slam towards the umpire. Hopefully it was never taken that way.

Mar 28, 2014
So you can imagine as an official saying that you see too many on 'power trips' and that we have 'no power anywhere else in life' is fairly insulting to someone who spends their time on the field umpiring games.
I think you misread my post. I did not say that all umpires have no power anywhere else in life. That comment was in relation to those on a power trip. Only. Sorry for the perceived insult. Not my intention.

And hopefully what I said shouldn't be insulting to you at all if you aren't one of them. Would be like someone way too many Texans are fat rednecks. Doesn't insult me at ll because I'm not a fat redneck. But I know there are a lot of them out there!

Jun 8, 2016
This has been an interesting discussion. I never really thought about saying "nice pitch", or something similar, and worrying that the umpire was ultra-sensitive and was going to take offense to it. I remember when DD first start pitching at 8 years old. If she was able to get it to the plate without it bouncing 3 times or sailing 10 feet over the catcher's head, I would routinely say "nice pitch". In no way did I expect it to be called a strike. Just that she was showing some improvement... Likewise, as she aged, there were plenty of situations when she would throw a ball just off the zone that I thought was a great pitch in the situation. Again, I would state "nice pitch", knowing for a fact that it was a ball and that the umpire made the right call. I was not trying to change the umpires mind. Just reinforcing that DD placed the pitch in a good spot. I just always assumed that the umpire understood that my job was to coach my players. And sometimes that requires positive reinforcement when they did something well. I never once did it as a slam towards the umpire. Hopefully it was never taken that way.
Like I said, tone matters. It is obvious to me when my DD's coaches say it and the intent is to get on the umpire..I cannot stand it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478