Good practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD had a good practice last nite. They haven't been able to practice on the field but a couple of times so far since it's been so cold - they have been doing indoor workouts since we stopped playing in Dec.
So this is the second time they've been on the field this year. DD is listed as 3B/SS/CF/UTL and so they rotate her a lot. She started practice at 3B - this is her weakest position as she rarely played this even in rec. So bunt defense is still new to her here. They did that - then moved her to CF. Then to SS and then to LF. When she was in the OF, she did really well and after practice - her coach actually gave her a shout out for getting such a good jump when they were hit towards her. So caught some tough ones.
But I'm sure she was tired - she was really the only one who switched positions that much.
Ofc when she got in the car - she only talked about how she wish she had done better at 3B :/

Apr 28, 2019
I think it’s drummed into kids at an early age that the “good” players play infield positions.
The idea is to put the younger/less experienced girls in the outfield so everything is in front of them and they can see what is going on and learn the game. (Also limit their negative impact on game)
Does this actually happen? I see many young OF not paying attention when in the field or get frustrated and quit playing.
So I believe every effort should be taken to move girls around at early ages to try different positions.
Girls that work on their own and improve skills are obviously going to earn IF playing time vs girls that just show-up to team practices unprepared and expect to be given preferred positions.
We all know as Coaches/Parents at older ages OF play becomes more important and coveted.
I would encourage your DD to grab a tennis ball or rubberized softball and find a walk to bounce balls off to dirk on her 3rd base skills.
It seems obvious she would prefer to play 3rd than OF. Talk to her about what she wants as her primary/secondary positions. Help her improve confidence/skills for what she views as her primary position.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
She actually doesn't really like 3rd all that much. She does okay there but she def does need more practice dealing with those hard hit balls right at her. She's most comfortable at SS as that is the position she's played almost from the start. She really likes OF though. Her biggest issue in the OF is her speed - but if she's doing a better job tracking - I think that will help.

It's interesting that in TB her coaches like her in the IF but will play her mostly anywhere. In HS, the coach has his IF set and and DD is not one of them and she gets put on the corner OF most of the time. When she had her end of season meeting last season her coach actually seemed surprised when she told him what positions she plays in TB. Even though we'd always listed them in player forms. She can catch too but she hasn't done it in a few years so she's afraid to tell any coach that she can do it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A racquetball court and a couple dimpled pitching machine balls. She can throw herself one hoppers, two hoppers, backhands, work on footwork and quick transfers, pop ups and sidearm throws. She can get more reps in 10 minutes than a 2 hour team practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee