Good or bad swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
She's wearing a FSU uniform and playing the game a level that is high enough to warrant fans.. I'd say it's pretty good.

I guarantee she has a swing that has been evaluated by many actually "in the business" and deemed as a good.

I like her stride, her balance, and she's obviously athletic. The outcome appears to not be optimum, looks like she missed barrelling up the ball.

I like it, its a good swinging down (on an inside pitch). However, I'll be in the minority I'm sure.

Dec 12, 2020
Does she always stride this far? This isn't my idea of an optimal bat path, but maybe it was an adjustment to offspeed or an early start by striding longer instead of planting the foot at a normal stride length and sinking? Getting that wide she seemed to get down to it well, just was forced very rotational, down to good but around and out quick, not able to get any back into it?

I'm just an amateur critiquing a pro here though...maybe she always crushes this way.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Gonna go out on a limb here and say good.

The bat going around her like that looks a lot like bonds or stanton on alot of swings. I dont think its forced. Thats the way its supposed to go(depending on pitch)

May 12, 2016
Bat path could be better probably due to lack of posture IMO. Could be the angle, but it appears she’s not getting all of it, a glancing blow, not behind and through

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2021-0904-drop.gifManny-toetouch-to-hipslot.gif

She doesn't use her body here (hands drop well below/ahead of the armpit). As a result, notice the bat generally sliding down, vs turning backwards

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
My guess is that that's her presenting a not normal swing at a less than optimal pitch to swing at (possibly just doing what it takes to get the barrel on the ball with 2 strikes?). That said....

1. Strides open too far (possibly because she's attempting to create space to swing at an inside pitch).
2. Disconnects hands, arms from her body (again, possibly as a result of pitch location and timing).
3. Hands start to the ball before the lower half (hips), negating some of the lower half's power. I say "some" because she does a surprisingly good job at not completely using just her upper half (shoulders, arms) to power the swing because...
3b. She does however do a really good job of getting her rear elbow slotted to her rear hip, and is able to get some of her lower half involved in the swing. This is difficult to do given the situation, and shows her athletic ability as "erniekru" points out above.

So while maybe not pretty and perfect, she does what she needs to do given the situation, and gets bat to ball. Well done.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
For me she never protracts/retracts the shoulders so disassociation of the upper isn’t there.

maybe timing or mechanical. Dunno.

edit: or maybe she does it too late..

1630775340073.gif

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Lol..with that viewpoint reading this forum must painful.
Nah, love reading the forum. I do feel like the "establishment" generally like a swing a certain way and that there are a vocal contingency here that are in opposition to that way of thinking. I find it humorous when critiques about Jocylyn Alo being bat-draggy pop up, same with some other very high end D1 swings.

Just because Alo will probably become the all time HR leader doesn't mean that her swing is perfect, but I GUARANTEE that Alo's coach and hitting "team" are happy with how she swings. Are they right or are they wrong??

Is it a case of the existing coaches being behind the times and some here are way ahead? Who knows, only time will tell.

FWIW, my DD did not adapt to a lot of specifics of a HLP swing. Her coaches, both hitting and team, do not like many of the visuals of that type of swing, since she never adapted well, she has eschewed it for the most part. We mostly work on having the right approach for pitches. What has stuck with me is a quote from a big D1 coach, basically saying (paraphrasing) "I expect batters to read and adjust to inside/outside pitches. Batters can get beat on elevation, but inside/outside you need to get the good part of the bat on the ball"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478