Good news for the womens Olympic softball team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Playing softball on a baseball field does suck. I'm surprised that's happening in Tokyo, because fastpitch is very popular over there. MLB does bring a lot of horsepower in terms of support. The loose change in the commissioner's couch could easily pay their bill.

Mar 13, 2010
The Fastpitch leagues in Japan play on baseball fields. So it’s fairly normal for them.

Oct 3, 2019
This is great news. Pro fastpitch needs new marketing and management. They need to use the the Olympics as a springboard to bolster their goals. Growing the game to the point whereas players could make a living playing the game. Top pitchers earning 25 million or so per year. Gotta dream big!
I am not sure how to do it but. fp needs a better long term and robust marketing strategy. Have MLB pony up the money to hire the best marketing firm out there.
Unlike the NBA and WNBA, baseball and softball are much more different sports I believe fp could different themselves from baseball.
Try watching a baseball game after watching the college world series. Its like watching paint dry.
Would be great if the women could get some exposure beforehand. Women's soccer team has created some celebrities. Maybe build up a couple of the players in the media, social networks, photo shoots, whatever.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The Fastpitch leagues in Japan play on baseball fields. So it’s fairly normal for them.

Yes! Add draws good attendance!

While baseball field may not be a perfect size field in a stadium.
Whats the solution?
Building just for olympics may be attributing factor to limiting softball in the olympics.

For pro in U.S. possibly start using the multi million dollar college stadiums across the nation that are available now.
Travel expense needs to be covered. MLB $$$$ maybe the best support it can offer.
Then to make it a revenue pro sport....
How much will people be willing to pay?

Perhaps with ESPN building an audience from college ball
Creating celebrity athlete's

Building stronger platform to make pro softball sustainable?!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They will be playing on a baseball field in Tokyo so having the MLB support the red headed step child of baseball fits. After all it is the same as baseball just with shorter distances and a bigger ball so girls can play it.

Why anyone would want the MLB involved in any way with Womens Fastpitch is beyond me. Would love to know what specifically the MLB is bringing to the table that the Womens Team does not already have?
$$$$$$$$

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Nothing. It was a joke. But appa
I'll be your Huckleberry, Sluggers....explain yourself please (Sarcasm on) Mr. Super Moderator (sarcasm off)? What did I miss?

Nothing. It was a joke. Apparently, it was too complicated.. If a joke needs an explanation, it is not a good joke. But, here it is:

"Sarcasm" means saying one thing and meaning another. So, if I were to say sarcastically, "You're a genius!" that would mean "You're an idiot!". Conversley, saying sarcastically, "you are an idiot" means "you are a genius."

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Nothing. It was a joke. But appa

Nothing. It was a joke. Apparently, it was too complicated.. If a joke needs an explanation, it is not a good joke. But, here it is:

"Sarcasm" means saying one thing and meaning another. So, if I were to say sarcastically, "You're a genius!" that would mean "You're an idiot!". Conversley, saying sarcastically, "you are an idiot" means "you are a genius."
The definition of sarcasm is "the use of irony to mock or convey contempt."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28