Good news for the womens Olympic softball team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
This..the visual is horrible.

Totally agree. On a proper sized field like softball is fast and exciting and in my mind more entertaining than watching baseball. On a baseball field Its not as fun to watch , plus it just adds to all the sexist attitudes against fastpitch. Look at the little girls playing their little game on their little field. Hate it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Let's not conflate "revenue" with profitability and ultimately sustainability. All sports generate "revenue". All college softball programs rely on what the NCAA refers to as "allocated revenue" to be viable.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is one of the biggest issues I have with watching most NPF games (when they are actually televised). Playing softball on a baseball field looks "less". It's a terrible visual and detracts from the spectacular level of play. This is not a visual sensation I get watching televised college ball. IMO, playing NPF on proper softball fields would be a step in the right direction.

Agree with visual field difference!
However in Tokyo marketing
is MUCH BETTER !!

Anyone find #'s to compare attendance in Tokyo sb/bb?

Feb 15, 2017
This may be true, but lets keep it real - It is still unable to sustain itself at the college level and it survives on the back of football and Title IX. The reality is that it is a niche sport and that is not going to change any time soon. Enjoy it for what it is, but do not expect it to turn into something it is not and never will be.
Riseball, is this the case in the SEC as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Riseball, is this the case in the SEC as well

Absolutely. It is no coincidence that the top SEC football schools tend to be the better SEC softball schools. The amount of money that flows from football to other sports is staggering. You cannot have multi-million dollar softball facilities when you have at best 2,000 fans for a home game at $5 a seat. I was told by a Director of Softball Operations that the gate for a home game typically does not cover game day logistics. For away games the costs for a bus trip, lodging, food, etc is in the tens of thousands. If it involves air travel it can get crazy expensive. Sure the SEC has a lucrative contract with ESPN to broadcast games. But that contract is with the SEC, not the school, and certainly not the softball program. Which explains come SEC tournament time how my daughter got a Kate Spade purse as a gift just for showing up. :)

In the mid to late 90's the SEC fought bringing on fastpitch as a sport, but over the last 20 years they have gone all in. If you want to point to the most significant factor in the popularity of college softball today it starts with the SEC.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
Absolutely. It is no coincidence that the top SEC football schools tend to be the better SEC softball schools. The amount of money that flows from football to other sports is staggering. You cannot have multi-million dollar softball facilities when you have at best 2,000 fans for a home game at $5 a seat. I was told by a Director of Softball Operations that the gate for a home game typically does not cover game day logistics. For away games the costs for a bus trip, lodging, food, etc is in the tens of thousands. If it involves air travel it can get crazy expensive. Sure the SEC has a lucrative contract with ESPN to broadcast games. But that contract is with the SEC, not the school, and certainly not the softball program. Which explains come SEC tournament time how my daughter got a Kate Spade purse as a gift just for showing up. :)

In the mid to late 90's the SEC fought bringing on fastpitch as a sport, but over the last 20 years they have gone all in. If you want to point to the most significant factor in the popularity of college softball today it starts with the SEC.

Arizona would kind of be of an exception here. Certainly NOT getting much (if any) profit from football, but has one of the top venues in the land! I guess you could argue they just get their revenue from Men's basketball. But the important thing is how much the Tucson community has embraced softball over the years.

Feb 15, 2017
Shows the disparity in sports. Baseball gets Joe Buck and Softball gets Michelle Smith, Beth Mowins, and Pam Ward.
The guy and girl who did my DD games at the U trips complex streaming last weekend did a better job than the ESPN softball crew.

Mar 13, 2010
Another one who hates the visual of softball played on a baseball diamond. I’m so sad we’ll be having the Olympics on a baseball diamond.

I’m still unhappy we combined with baseball with the WBSC instead of remaining seperate. We should have fought for men’s softball to be added, not thrown out lot in with baseball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802