Good news for the womens Olympic softball team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Why anyone would want the MLB involved in any way with Womens Fastpitch is beyond me. Would love to know what specifically the MLB is bringing to the table that the Womens Team does not already have?
Money, Marketing, Exposure, etc...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
and this morning (1/24/20) the Women's Olympic team got to ring the opening bell on the big board (NYSE)...which for some of us could be considered a pretty big honor. Way to go Ladies!!

May 20, 2016
Think it's great. Would be nice to have MLB put it's muscle behind professional softball. Will be a good market for it after the olympics.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Softball is currently the fastest growing sport in college!
Also ESPN has more viewers watching College softball world series than baseball.

May 6, 2015
Also ESPN has more viewers watching College softball world series than baseball.
I love watching FP, but a lot of that has to do with WCWS is pretty much the highest level of softball you will see on TV on a regular basis. For baseball, the CWS is great, but most can tune into one of several different MLB games to watch the greatest players on earth on any given night.

would love to see the post college womens game develop into something sustainable other than every four years.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
YES SOFTBALL AFTER COLLEGE!!!

Think ESPN helped greatly with the supporting #'s of viewers interest!!!

Apr 30, 2018
I love watching FP, but a lot of that has to do with WCWS is pretty much the highest level of softball you will see on TV on a regular basis. For baseball, the CWS is great, but most can tune into one of several different MLB games to watch the greatest players on earth on any given night.

would love to see the post college womens game develop into something sustainable other than every four years.

We can't even get every 4 years at this point. Softball is not in the Olympics for 2024 Paris. Being in Japan is the only reason it got back in for 2020... hopefully the sport keeps growing.

Aug 2, 2019
They will be playing on a baseball field in Tokyo so having the MLB support the red headed step child of baseball fits. After all it is the same as baseball just with shorter distances and a bigger ball so girls can play it.

Why anyone would want the MLB involved in any way with Womens Fastpitch is beyond me. Would love to know what specifically the MLB is bringing to the table that the Womens Team does not already have?
Money and exposure.

But mostly money.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is great news. Pro fastpitch needs new marketing and management. They need to use the the Olympics as a springboard to bolster their goals. Growing the game to the point whereas players could make a living playing the game. Top pitchers earning 25 million or so per year. Gotta dream big!
I am not sure how to do it but. fp needs a better long term and robust marketing strategy. Have MLB pony up the money to hire the best marketing firm out there.
Unlike the NBA and WNBA, baseball and softball are much more different sports I believe fp could different themselves from baseball.
Try watching a baseball game after watching the college world series. Its like watching paint dry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802