Good Mitt for a Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2009
I am looking for suggestions on a mitt to catch my pitchers. I looked for the LS "Big Daddy", but it's been discontinued. I don't have huge hands (I wear a Large golf glove), but I just need something to fit a grown man's hand. Local stores don't have squat in stock, so I am forced to mail order. I have contacted Nokona and Akadema, and they both suggested full sized mitts that they make, but I had a dealer tell me that they would be really tight. He suggested a Salinas mitt (maybe a SB3?). Of course, it's a lot of $$$. He's a pitching instructor and said it was perfect. I may just bite the bullet and shell out the bucks.

What mitt do you guys use? I have to do something, these girls are throwing harder every day. I like it!!!!

Jun 6, 2009
Dealer lied. I wear a size 9 surgical gloves, which means I have very large hands and the Nokona catchers mitts fit me fine. They break in quickly as well.

Jun 25, 2009
Speaking of bare hands.........we got a 16" clincher softball to play with in the neighborhood (my neighbor has a field). Just got it for fun an the idea that say you are at a cookout or something an nobody has gloves, you could still get up a game. It's different and a hoot to see the 9yo girls fighting what looks like a beach ball. I still think if my DD could get a grip on it she could windmill it. THEN I might bare hand it!!!!!!!!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They are expensive. But, if your DD is going to be doing this for several years, it is worth it. I like the open web design, so I would go with the CM275-K-OW. The CM275-K-CW is a fine glove also.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The akadema praying mantis is what I have. There are 3 different fastpitch models, a couple for under $100 and one for $160. The are really big (34"). Cheap plug for justballgloves.com .... the ship out of kansas city, I ordered mine on a Friday at 2:00, and had it on my door Monday at noon.

Jul 20, 2008
I have an Easton catcher's mitt I bought on sale. It works great. You can also use a 1st basemen's mitt if you can't find a catcher's mitt to fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802