Good Job!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Interesting article.
Took my DD to a tryout recently. Coach was one of those "good job" all the time guys. He also did the da da da sports center thing when a player made any nice play. Very encouraging type guy. We got back to the car and I asked her what did she think. She said "that guy is a rec ball coach, he talks too much, he says good job even when they miss the ball. How would I know if I did something wrong?"

I find the serious coach says less, that just has an aura of high expectations about him is what my DD responds to best. The coach that you don't want to screw up in front of and definitely don't want to be caught not paying attention to instruction. Thats not me (yet) I talk too much. LOL

May 20, 2016
Different kids respond to coaching differently. My DD's favorite coach was real intense, most girls didn't like him. She loved it.

May 6, 2015
He sounds like a great Assistant Coach.

I like having a serious Head Coach and one of the two Assistant Coaches being a bit more playful and light.
this, you need a balance. and also, it is OK to applaud effort even if it does not give desired result, but repeated attempts will eventually start yeildind desired results. at the same time, if someone misses a routine play, they need to be hald accountable, not applauded (not saying dressing down, but a low key comment just so they are aware).

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah when I ask my DD who her best coach was she mentions a 10U fall ball coach....he ws 100% no nonsense and at the time she said she didn't like it much....go figure

Sep 17, 2009
The head coach I assisted with for years was an 'always positive' guy. Drove me nuts. I agree, how do you create accountability when everything is good try, mistakes are instantly forgotten if you say 'my bad' and when you miss a ground ball in warmups you just ask for another.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Did anybody read the article? Very interesting. Gives good reasoning why not to say good job. And its not about lack of accountability when mistakes are made. It about saying not good job even if they did a good job.

Oct 4, 2018
I thought the article went a bit too far the opposite direction.

However, I really don't say "good job" for routine plays. Or when they make a bad play. We have lots of parents who do.

I bite my tongue, but our parents go crazy when a girl catches a line drive. However, most of the weakly hit line drives equate to catching a ball thrown right to them. It's a routine play. Most grounders are more difficult to field correctly.

Makes me want to comment. Perhaps when it's my DD who catches a ball coming right to her glove I'll make a comment. :)

Jun 8, 2016
Did anybody read the article? Very interesting. Gives good reasoning why not to say good job. And its not about lack of accountability when mistakes are made. It about saying not good job even if they did a good job.
Yes, basically don't lie..lol.

Nov 18, 2015
The head coach I assisted with for years was an 'always positive' guy. Drove me nuts. I agree, how do you create accountability when everything is good try, mistakes are instantly forgotten if you say 'my bad' and when you miss a ground ball in warmups you just ask for another.
I've run into the opposite much more often. One of those things I wish I could "un-hear", as at some point, I realized every error or missed ball was eliciting a reaction of "Sally! You gotta make that play!", or "Girls, we have to make good throws!" from the coaches. For me, that kind of instruction (oh, wait - maybe it's supposed to be motivation?) is as useful as "just throw strikes". [Insert Domingo Ayala video here]

Don't get me wrong - I'll still yell that at the TV (and from the stands) when players are being paid real $$$ to "just throw strikes".

Yes - I did read the article - like bmakj said - praise the effort.

New Rule Proposal: At least once a year, every coach must listen to a recording of themselves over an entire game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802