Good Job!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
I found the article a little silly. It implies that a five-year-old is making complex value judgement about the motivations of the person offering praise

It's an opinion piece more than anything. I read through it and really doesn't site anything. Just a bunch of "lots of blah blah blah agree".

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What I got from it was: During batting practice when she squares one up instead of saying "nice one or there you go, that's better or good job" I will say "so how'd that one feel? or what did you do right or different on that swing or did you feel you loaded your glute on that swing. I also like to have her rate her swings. So during front toss or machine pitch after every swing she has to give me a number. I want responses like 10- I killed that one, 8- good swing but a little off the end of the bat. 6-rolled over (hit GB) but hit it hard. 4- i don't know, i think I am tired. Allowing her to judge herself and getting to know her swing also.

Mar 7, 2016
I haven't been a team coach in a couple of years how. I miss working with the players, and helping them reach new levels in their game. I do not miss the parents.

worst part of the job right there. Explaining every little word said to the overprotective parents. The worst are satellite moms who think their kid never does anything wrong.

I told my DD there are two types of people after a game. Those that say good game regardless of what you do, and those that are trying to make you a better player. I was surprised when my DD replied "I know its like they didnt even watch the game"

May 24, 2013
So Cal
worst part of the job right there. Explaining every little word said to the overprotective parents. The worst are satellite moms who think their kid never does anything wrong.

Anyone who has spent much time coaching has a story or three about that - LOL.

Jun 12, 2015

I told my DD there are two types of people after a game. Those that say good game regardless of what you do, and those that are trying to make you a better player. I was surprised when my DD replied "I know its like they didnt even watch the game"

I don't know. DH has coached or assistant coached since 8U and it's pretty even IME. The worst parent we've had to deal with in her entire softball journey, at least 5x more toxic than our second worst, was a dad who thought he knew everything, fought over almost every coaching decision, would never ever ever just shut up, and undermined the coaches to the other parents while encouraging a mutiny and completely dividing the team in half. It was, quite frankly, the final straw and this year, no more coaching. I'm sure I've been more relieved in my life but I can't think of when.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812