Good drills/training to increase running speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
What are your suggestions for increasing speed on the basepaths? Any drills to recommend? DVD that is worth the purchase?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Raw speed is great and should be worked on but proper start from batter’s box, leading off and proper foot work from that lead off are not worked on enough from the little I have seen.

A lot of players have a false, wasted partial step, when the start to run or/and do not leadoff properly.

Also remember that once you start talking about speed on the base paths sliding properly plays a big part.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Sprinting and Sprint Mechanics, like any other skill is a movement pattern that needs to be learned with intent, then implemented with quality repetitions. You will notice the "natural" faster athletes, can apply a lot more force to the ground and their rate of force production will be higher than those who sprint at a slower pace. Don't get me wrong, technique is a big part of decreasing sprint times and becoming more efficient with your body, but an athlete has to learn how to produce force in order to reap the greatest benefits from speed training and sprint mechanics.

A strength phase should be implemented first before any speed/agility training is implemented. The strength phase can just be body weight exercises or light weight exercises. The athlete will make strength gains just because of neural adaptations. The brain teaches the body how to produce force and body control....something that is a must when sprinting or changing direction (agility). Test your athletes before a strength program and then again after in the 20 yard dash (60ft) and the Pro Agility (5-10-5). You will see the improvements.

As far as sprint mechanics, the best way to teach is to practice yourself and film yourself. Understand what you are doing in relation to top end sprinters and then teach based on your findings along with the biomechanics of the skill.

Here are 8 Common Body Position Mistakes that I have seen with my athletes:

1. Toes are pointed out and the ankle is plantar flexed during the swing phase
2. Knees are partially flexed. The heel rarely gets passed knee height during the swing phase.
3. Poor Hip Flexion during the swing phase
4. Torso stays flexed from start to top end speed, decreasing the utilization of the glutes/hamstrings.
5. Torso is Rotating and not rigid and arms cross midline of body
6. Elbows do not maintain 90º
7. Arm action is coming from the elbows and not the shoulder joint. This means the shoulder joint is flexing and extending while the elbow is flexing and extending. (looks very awkward)
8. Bobble Head Effect - An athlete will move his head side to side or in circles like they are trying too hard!

I am getting some video out on these for clarification. Will be done later this week. Just wanted to share some common mistakes I see with my athletes.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
austinwass i am waiting for your video's because this is the information i've been looking for. they say you can't teach speed? but there must be proper mechanics and drills that can certainly help run faster// and there must be a proper way to run?

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
gvm, I am working on getting all the video together and uploaded. Speed can be trained, obviously to a certain extent. From a genetic view, everyone is born with different fiber types with different percentages of Type I (slow twitch) and Type II (fast twitch). There is some crossover, meaning fibers can transition from less force producing fibers to more force producing fibers with strength/power training. The extent of it is not tremendous, but there is some transitioning. The more force an athlete can apply to the ground and how fast they can generate that force will help increase running speed.

There are definitely key technique points when sprinting that can help an athlete be more efficient with their bodies, resulting in faster movements. Nailing down the proper sprinting mechanics is step 1 and then applying drills that reinforce those mechanics is step 2. I will be working on getting video of sprint mechanics, drills and the common body position mistakes.

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
We've been working on running speed with our 12U team for about six months. We have several girls that just don't get HOW to run.

Agility ladder is great and it is fun. It has really helped our girls to move to the ball quicker. I highly recommend agility ladders. But I don't think it has helped our base running.

For my team, I've had to teach the girls the physical movements associated with running - almost like we teach batting. There are three ways that I've been working with that seem to be sinking in. I found all of this on the internet, but I'm not sure of the right links anymore.
1. Standing running motion. Balance yourself against a wall. Stand straight up on one foot. On the up foot, raise the knee so that the thigh is horizontal, ankle flexed. Quickly sweep the foot to the floor, bushing the ground and return the knee to the start position. 3 reps of 10. This strengthens your hip flexors and gets the kids in the habit of driving the knees high. It seems easy, but our non-runners really struggled.
2. Run against the wall. Lean against the wall at approximately 45 degrees. Straight line from head-shoulders-hips-heel. Lift one knee so that the thigh is horizontal. Quickly switch leg positions. Do it slowly at first, checking form. Non-runners will tend to stand upright or to bend at the waist. Once they get the form, 3 sets of 10 at running speed. Make sure they keep the knees up.
3. Running with resistance. Use a bike innertube- you can get them for free at any bike shop. Make sure you pick the ones from a mountain bike so that they don't break. Loop it around your body with someone holding the back. Loop a large rubber band from thumb to elbow. Make sure kids keep the good straight, angled form. Remind them that when they are challenged, they should move their legs more quickly - many will go slower looking for more power from each step. Remind them to drive with their arms - arms go straight forward/back and not crossing the body. The rubber band will pop off of their arms when they straighten the arms too much. We do 3 sprints with resistence followed by one normal sprint. The kids love feeling like superman at the end.

All total, these drills including the agility ladder take 15 minutes at the start of practice. They could also be broken up into small amounts as the girls are getting back in line, but they really need a coach to check the form until they get the body position. We did the agility ladder work for 4 months with no real impact to run times. These three drills started making a difference within a month.

I've heard other coaches reference arm swing only drills, but haven't added them yet. Basically, you sit on the ground, legs in front of you. Move the arms vigorously until you get a good butt-bump going. Coming up off of the ground is a good indicator that you have a good strong arm pump.

Good Luck!

Julie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2