Good catching or bad umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If it’s consistent throughout the game, it’s fine. If that pitch is randomly a strike, then I have a bigger issue with it. After 2, the batter has to adjust and try to hit the third one.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
MLB umpires earn $130,000 to $350,000 a year, plus $340 per diem. They should be doing better.

Last time I watched a lot of baseball was my 2005 White Sox. Only reason I watch baseball at all is my DD's favorite player since 2015 is Joc Pederson so she turns on his games when he is playing (though I forbade her from watching him when he played for the Flubs).
Batters make 600k to 35 million. They should be able to adjust mid game.

Jul 27, 2021
Batters make 600k to 35 million. They should be able to adjust mid game.
That is a BUNCH OF BS.
Umps need to DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY.
Players from the time they are kids all the way to Majors spend 99% of their training time to play within the rules. It is unacceptable for Umps to change the rules and for strikes to be called through the socks and/or helmet.

An Ump making 3 BAD CALLS in a row in 100% on THEM. Stop apologizing for a crap job by umps.

May 20, 2015
it's kind of like when PGA golfers complain about grounds conditions that most of us could never afford to play on......they are playing at the highest level possible, they expect the highest level umpiring possible.......that isn't a big ask, and MOST umpires do a pretty bang up job on balls and strikes.....this was an extreme outlier, it was egregious, and the complaints are valid....this was angel hernandez level bad, and it was 3 straight pitches.....missing one happens, this was just poor......

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That is a BUNCH OF BS.
Umps need to DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY.
Players from the time they are kids all the way to Majors spend 99% of their training time to play within the rules. It is unacceptable for Umps to change the rules and for strikes to be called through the socks and/or helmet.

An Ump making 3 BAD CALLS in a row in 100% on THEM. Stop apologizing for a crap job by umps.
I’ve seen some of the pitches some major leaguers swing at, their idea of a strike zone isn’t all that well honed either.

UMPs are people. They are going to make mistakes. Bad calls on the strike zone Isn’t changing the rules, its what they see. Until they make the change to robo umps you have to learn to adjust.

Jul 19, 2021
I’ve seen some of the pitches some major leaguers swing at, their idea of a strike zone isn’t all that well honed either.

UMPs are people. They are going to make mistakes. Bad calls on the strike zone Isn’t changing the rules, its what they see. Until they make the change to robo umps you have to learn to adjust.
So are you of the mindset that an umpire calling those 3 pitches as strikes, 3 pitches in a row, is a normal occurrence in MLB?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

Nick Swisher made a career out of "knowing the strike zone and not expanding it". He had a 12 year career where he was 13% better than the average MLB hitter based on OPS+. He said he'd even take pitches he knew were bordeline strikes becasue he knew he couldn't do anything with them and would rather take a chance that they'd be called a ball. Changing his approach to "adjust" to the strike zone of the umpire on that particular day would have required a complete change in hitting philosophy of someone who had a pretty successful MLB career.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee